What tools are available to help tag a large volume of tickets efficiently?

Conner, Nick May 24, 2023

Our board is configured to use several fields for organizational and reporting purposes:

• Components
  • Epic Link
  • Systems (Custom multi-select field with predefined values)
  • Requester Group (Custom single select with predefined values)
  • etc...

For this data to be effective for operational reporting, we need to ensure at least X% of tickets in a period have been tagged with each of these fields when appropriate.

There is no single logical statement that would allow automation to tag all fields/tickets. Clicking each individual ticket, updating each field manually, and then iterating is cumbersome for the volume of tickets we manage.

I am not able to bulk import a csv to edit tickets due to lack of admin access.

Are there any tools to simplify cleaning up ticket data? I've been unable to find any reasonable options other than the bulk import method.

2 answers

0 votes
MobilityStream
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

Hi @Conner, Nick ,

If you are open for a Marketplace add-on, you could try our Google Sheets Integration app. Jira data can be automatically exported to Google Sheets when changes occur. In Google Sheets users can bulk update issues that will synch back to Jira. However, obviously there is a cost to this although significantly lower than add-ons like Structure. You may want to give it a try, there is a 30-day free trial available.

Kind regards,

The Mobility Team

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Conner, Nick,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

If you are open to apps then you could do this using Structure, I know some of my users are using it to do bulk updates. There are also other apps in the Marketplace that can integrate with Google Sheets so you can do it from there.

Conner, Nick May 24, 2023

Thanks Mikael.

Our instance is shared across our large organization. Even though number of actual app users would be my small team, we'd be paying for 2.5-5k users which I'd have a hard time making a business case for.

I was unable to find any free apps on marketplace that allow writing from another app (like google sheets), or that allowed optimized bulk operations in Jira natively. If you have any more recommendations I'm all ears!

Otherwise I'll do a bit more research on app options, and then mark your answer as accepted.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

The only other option if you do not have admin rights would be to use the REST API to do a bulk update. If these fields are needed for reporting I would consider making them required when transition to a specific status so you are forcing the user to fill it out, or automate it based on the existing information in the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events