What's your new project workflow?

Deleted user June 13, 2016

I'd like to dial in my workflow (er, process) when I need to create a new project in JIRA. I'd like to get thoughts on this. For example, when onboarding a new department new to JIRA or, setting up a new project for an existing JIRA team, what do you start with? What are your steps? I know this could get granular, I am looking for a high-level step-by-step for this purpose. Do you create the project, create the workflow, then workflow scheme, then permission scheme, roles? TIA

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2016

I tend not to start configuring JIRA until I understand as much of the requirements as possible. For me its always been easier to sketch out on a whiteboard everything that needs to be configured.

Where you start, really depends on where you are at. So for teams already used to JIRA, with an existing workflow process, its pretty easy to agree what needs to be done.

However when you are starting with a blank slate then treat it like you would any IT project. Understand your requirements, design your solution, implement and test. For implementation I usually start with the Issue Types and Fields - understanding the data the needs to be used and captured first. Then I move on to workflows to understand how that data is used and changed throughout the workflow lifecycle. Finally I look at who does what, and out of that comes my notification and permissions.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Deleted user June 14, 2016

Thanks Chris, that is helpful. It's already in use where I will be work and will be helping administer it and setting up new projects. I think for onboarding teams new to JIRA workflows there's an excellent opportunity to do things a little differently. I don't want to drastically change the way existing teams are using it currently.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events