What's the syntax for checkboxes in JIRA issues?

Andrew Pennebaker February 24, 2015

As a power user, I want to be able to write checkboxes in my issues, so that I can manage my issues and subtasks better.

GitHub provides

[ ] /

for this. Could there be a similar syntax for checkboxes in JIRA?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

There's a couple of things you might mean here.

First, do you mean as part of the text?  The rich text boxes have tick and cross amongst others.

Second, do you mean as a field?  As an admin, you can add multi-checkbox fields.

Yes, as part of the text. I can't see any rich text option for this (at least in the free BitBucket plan). Even if I did, I want to be able to create checkboxes by using Markdown syntax, rather than hitting a bunch of GUI buttons.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

Ok, the text boxes have "renderers". If you're using a plain renderer, there's not a lot you can do. But if you swap to a rich renderer, then it'll accept and display wiki markup. You can change the renderer for a field in the project's "field configuration" (note that the renderer only applies to rendering, the underlying data in the field does not change) Once you're in a rich field, you can use ( / ) and ( x ) to get the marks I gave in my answer - remove the spaces from what I've just typed though! There are others - try ? and ! for example.

Ah, makes sense. I don't see Field Configuration in my project's settings.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2015

Sorry, it should be "Field configuration scheme". That scheme tells the project what "field configuraition" to use for each issue type in your project (there's a good chance that there is only one field configuraion in use)

Suggest an answer