What's the new Project "URL" field?

Alec Jasanovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

In Jira cloud, in a project details, there is now a "URL" field. I tried entering a random url like "https://salesforceproject.net", and even combinations of .com, adding .atlassian, etc.

But nothing works. Anyone have any details on this? It would certainly be nice to be able to edit a project's URL in cloud.  

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2018

The project url is just a field for a url that the project can use to point to something else.  Most of us use it to point to a Confluence space for the project docs.

Liam Maeder October 11, 2018

Could you please by any chance elaborate on how to set this up?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

Edit the project settings, paste a link to your matching Confluence space into the field. 

It's not a clever or coded thing using an application link, it is just a url.  But some people find "Oh, project XYZ keeps its docs over at (a clickable) https://ourplace.org/docs/display/XYZ" quite handy.

Liam Maeder October 12, 2018

Sorry i know this seems a little stupid but what would i use as a confluence space?

Thanks for the help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2018

Confluence is Atlassian's wiki software - it's a good place to write documentation, notes, requirements, specs, actually, anything really, especially if you want to collaborate with others.  I even know someone who used it to write a book.

A Space in Confluence is a logical division of content, containing all the pages that you'd probably want to relate together.  A very common pattern of usage is to find a Confluence that has a set of spaces for Teams, another set for Products, a third for knowledge base and a fourth making up an intranet, for example.

Mel Evans February 1, 2022

Hi, I would like to know how I can make
"Oh, project XYZ keeps its docs over at (a clickable) 
https://ourplace.org/docs/display/XYZ" quite handy."
Where is the given URL displayed?

Thanks in advance, M.

Deleted user May 2, 2022

Hey there, same question as Mel above - where would we see this URL typically?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

Depends on the project type, but it's a lot less obvious nowadays, as many project's "landing pages" have changed from a project descriptor to be the board for the project.  For the most part now, you have to click on the project settings (non-admins of the project still get that, they can't edit)

Deleted user May 3, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Understood - thanks!