Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What's the easiest way to batch copy one field value into another (but not in a postfunction!)?

I have some custom fields that are too similar and should be combined (for example PHONE and PHONE #.  (I will be speaking to people about governance. /;-])

I've been thinking I would add the field we are keeping to the screen with the field we aren't keeping, then use Batch Update to copy any values from the field-to-be-removed into the field that is staying.  But I can't do that, can I?  The batch update allows me to put in something hard-coded, or a selection, but not the value of another field, right?

I suppose I can add a temporary transition and postfunction to accomplish this - I just wondered if there was a simpler way?

Thanks for any help.

1 answer

I’d remove the field you don’t want from any create or edit screen then create a filter which includes both phone number fields.  Export to csv, copy field values (from ‘wrong’ field to ‘right’ field) in excel and then import the results updating the ‘right’ field back into Jira.  (You can the delete the ‘wrong’ field in Jira).

This is pretty easy to do but you need to have site admin permission and obviously you should  test the import on one or two issues before running a large batch update

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you