What's the easiest way to batch copy one field value into another (but not in a postfunction!)?

Nancy Bonanno April 1, 2021

I have some custom fields that are too similar and should be combined (for example PHONE and PHONE #.  (I will be speaking to people about governance. /;-])

I've been thinking I would add the field we are keeping to the screen with the field we aren't keeping, then use Batch Update to copy any values from the field-to-be-removed into the field that is staying.  But I can't do that, can I?  The batch update allows me to put in something hard-coded, or a selection, but not the value of another field, right?

I suppose I can add a temporary transition and postfunction to accomplish this - I just wondered if there was a simpler way?

Thanks for any help.

1 answer

1 vote
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2021

I’d remove the field you don’t want from any create or edit screen then create a filter which includes both phone number fields.  Export to csv, copy field values (from ‘wrong’ field to ‘right’ field) in excel and then import the results updating the ‘right’ field back into Jira.  (You can the delete the ‘wrong’ field in Jira).

This is pretty easy to do but you need to have site admin permission and obviously you should  test the import on one or two issues before running a large batch update

maksushka February 9, 2022

Hi there, so this seem to work to import issues, but it actually creates a new issue instead of just replacing the value in existing due to not able to change Issue Id Field. Anyone else experienced the same and resolved?

Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2022

If you are importing using the CSV importer then it will create new issues.

To update issues you need to use the external system import which allows both issue creation and issue update (but does require admin rights)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer