What's the difference between version and release

I feel like this is something that should be obvious but it's not (to me at least). I've searched and couldn't find a clear answer so can someone please explain the difference?

Thanks

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

In JIRA, versions are intended to indicate an actual version of your software (2.3.5).  However, depending on how your software is being delivered, you could also use releases in this field.  For instance, our project has time-boxed releases where the content of the release is flexible but the release date is not.  Therefore, version and release are somewhat interchangeable.  However, I could see an instance where you separately track software versions and still have a separate concept called a release.

For example, you could have your versions go along as 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, etc. and not necessarily know what version will go into your release 1, 2, 3, etc.  In this case, you could have version 2.4.1 deployed as part of release 2.  This is especially true if you have multiple software projects all going into a single release.

IN context of jira, a version is a milestone. You tag several issues with a version say 1.1 and when say you deliver that version to a customer you go and mark the version as released.

All unresolved issues in that version then can be moved into the next release say 1.2.

Does that answer your question?

Rahul

@Rahul Aich [Nagra] - it helps, Rahul. Thank you. If I think of it the way you describe then it seems the version and the release end up being essentially the same thing. When you release version 1.1 then that release is simply all of the completed issues that are tagged version 1.1.

@Luke Majewski - thank you too and I think you make a key point. It sounds like how you deliver software makes the difference. In my org, we work on a release until it's done, then release it, then start the next one. Because of this, I think version and release can be thought of interchangeably. 

Does this sound right?

does that mean that your release of the product will be bug-free, and will not have any improvement?

So in your case, affect version and fixed version will always be same right?

"

Affects version is the version in which a bug or problem was found. Although it can be useful for tracking problems, it isn't used very often in Jira. 

Fix version is the version where you plan on releasing a feature or bugfix to customers. This field is used for release planning, monitoring progress and velocity, and is used widely in reporting. This is most likely the field you want. 

We use fix version to define a release, i.e. Version 2.1.  We use Affects Version to define bugs and issues that emerge post-release so that we know which release a bug affects. This helps us understand if an issue is still a problem or if an issue may be superseded by a release in flight.

We do this because this helps us keep our bug resolutions organized and targeted, as we often have multiple releases in progress across a variety of environments and this helps facilitate QA.

This has a tremendous amount of power when you have to support a central group who support groups of customers/end users that uptake or upgrade software at varying rates. 

For example:

• Dev environment: Team is working on Fix Version 2.3 in Development
  • Staging environment: Team is testing Fix Version 2.2 in QA
  • Releases in Production: Fix Version 2.1 in use with customers A, B, & C.  Version 2.0 is in use with customers X, Y, & Z

If a user finds a bug in their production software, the Affects Version would be tagged w/ Version 2.0 or Version 2.1, depending on which version they have in use.

If a tester finds a bug in Staging, the Affects Version would be tagged with 2.2.

And so on...

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

97 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you