What's the difference between the issues listed in Backlog vs Board?

apparker December 8, 2019

I've created issues both using the "+" icon as well as the "Create Issue" in the Board. When I click on Backlog, they show up in different places.  When I click on backlog, I see some in the Board section up top and some below in the Backlog area.  What's the difference?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2019

Hi @apparker

I'm going to assume you're using a Kanban Board given you mention some are in the board area and some are just in backlog.

The Backlog is an optional area you can add to a Kanban Board to store issues which are not started. It reflects a status which is the "backlog column" in the settings - when it moves out of this status into another one, it'll end up on the board. The backlog is beneficial so you don't need to see a great long list of issues in the first column of the board if you don't want to.

Once you drag them into the board section (above the backlog), they enter the first column on the active board and then you can drag/drop them across.

If you want to change this setup as a Board Admin you can:

1. Go to options (3-dots in upper-right corner of board) > Board Settings
  2. Go to Columns on the left-hand menu
  3. Drag statuses in or out of the "backlog" area (the furthest column to the left) - if you drag all statuses out, it will deactivate the backlog

If this is Scrum it's different - and the issues up the top reflect those in an active sprint :) - and the backlog is required, rather than optional.

Ste

apparker December 8, 2019

so in effect, Backlog can be used for ideas while the Board is for tasks ready to be assigned and worked on (?)

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2019

Yes; it could be ideas or it could be tasks that you've not yet prioritised to be built / completed. 

It limits the amount of WIP you have on the board - concentrating on what is actively being progressed rather than what is just in the list of things to do.

Ste

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer