What's the difference between the Time Resolution Report and Average Age Report?

Thomas Toth September 2, 2018

I would like to better understand the difference between these two reports.

It would help if I could understand how the numbers for each report are calculated so that I can better determine which report is more suitable for my need.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2018

Hey @Thomas Toth

The Average Age Report shows the average age (in days) of unresolved issues at given points in time, which means that it considers issues that are still unresolved.

While the Resolution Time Report shows the average time taken to resolve issues, which means that will consider only the issues that are already resolved and how much time it took to resolve them.

Both reports are based on your choice of project or filter (JQL) and you can also chose the units of time 

Let me know if this makes sense to you! :)

Gabi

Thomas Toth September 10, 2018

Thanks a lot, that makes at least the difference clearer.

How does Jira calculate the age or the time to resolution? Is that from the time the issue is created, or from when moved into the next status?

Cheers :)

Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2018

Hi there!

It considers the time taken to resolve an issue, Thomas, this means: the report essentially pulls time data for your issues to determine when each issue has been set to a “Resolved” entry in the Resolution field since it was opened.

This also applies to the "age" of your issue, it considers time your issue was created and it is still open.

I hope this clarifies :D

Gabi

Like David Bigness likes this
Thomas Toth September 11, 2018

Thanks a lot :)

Gabriele Franck
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2018

You're welcome, buddy!

Count on me any time you need ;)

Vishal S Wani
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 4, 2019

So if my resolution time shows increase month over month, but average age shows a steady decrease month over month for the same period - What would that mean? 

Paul Stasiak August 3, 2021

I'm sorry @Gabriele Franck, I could use just a little more clarification. Is an issue on the backlog considered "unresolved"? We're using Kanban with Backlog, ToDo, In Progress, Blocked, In Review (to include In Test), and Done (to include Closed). So the Average Age Report is including all tasks in all statuses except for Closed, Done, OBE? I'm hoping it doesn't include the backlog as we load that up during increment planning and some tasks will sit there for two months or more.

Regarding the Resolution Time Report, I think the answer hinges on the "unresolved" and backlog question. Does this report only consider time after a task is moved off the backlog until it is resolved? Or does it include the time sitting on the backlog?

Thanks,

Paul

3 votes
Marc Taylor March 27, 2019

Does the Time Resolution Report start calculating the time from the created date? 

I would like the same data but would like the clock to start ticking when the status is changed to a specific value (when it is first moved to in progress). 

Does anyone know how I can do this? 

Anju Patel April 30, 2019

Hi,

Can anyone help me to understand what is this column all about  "resolutiondate"?

Is this database column ?

is "resolutiondate" same as "Resolution Date:" (which is on screen)

image.png

Andreas Hagglund September 19, 2019

@Marc Taylor I think you can use the control chart report to see what you are looking for

Suggest an answer