What's the difference between Jira Cloud for Sheets and Google Sheets Integration?

Adam January 21, 2020

For anyone familiar, what's the difference between Jira Cloud for Sheets (by Atlassian) and Google Sheets Integration (by MobilityStream, LLC)?

I'm looking to export data from Jira into a spreadsheet in real time. I'm also open to any recommended alternatives.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello Adam,

I am Familiar with the Jira Cloud for Sheets add-on but not so much for the Google Sheets Integration (by MobilityStream, LLC), and I only have a referance from the docs for the comparison.  So, I can fill you in with details I am aware of for difference Jira Cloud for Sheets Add-on based on what is listed  on the  Google Sheets Integration documentation, and hopefully Someone that has more first hand knowledge on the MobilityStream add-on sees this too, and can discuss the difference in the other direction.

The main things to consider is that the third party add-on Google sheets integration uses a installed app allowing for some control from Jira of the google sheet, where the Jira Cloud for sheets is an extension lives on the Google Sheet side and allows the sheet to connect to back to Jira to pull data only.

The main differences I can see are as follows:

Jira Cloud for Sheets:

1. This is a Google sheets plugin that connects to Jira clouds issue search features and interacts by pulling data from Jira to the sheet
  2. This is a read only export of the data from Jira to the sheet
  3. Will have all the capabilities of google sheets (i.e. formulas, and sharing options) and Data must be pulled from the Sheet using Jira JQL directly in the google sheet to return a data set
  4. This is a free add-on supported by Atlassian
  5. Sharing options and Permissions are at the Google Sheet level only, no configurations on the Jira side, and data will be presented as the user that owns the sheet.

Google Sheets Integration:

1. Connects to Jira Via an connect add-on installed on the system which allows for the tool to be access and configured Jira side
  2. Notes having the capability of Bi-directional support using the  Google Sheets add-on companion app for the tool i.e. can read and write back to update issues from modifications in the sheet
  3. Will have all the capabilities of google sheets (i.e. formulas, and sharing options)  and it has options to either pull date from Jira starting in the sheet OR create a sheet from Jira via an export option in the issue navigator
  4. This is a paid add-on Supported by the vendor 
  5. Has configuration options on the Jira side to modify the sheet permissions

Regards,
Earl

EDIT:  One more major difference I forgot in the list above that I should mention here incase anyone else runs into this thread but does not really pertain to your situation as you noted being on Cloud, the Google Sheets Integration is avaliable for both Cloud and the Server/DataCenter Jira platforms, but the  Jira Cloud for Sheets add-on is a Jira Cloud Only option.

Adam January 23, 2020

This a great breakdown, exactly what I was looking for, thank you Earl!

For my use case, the  Google Sheets Integration (by MobilityStream, LLC) is what I'm looking for. Being able to pull Jira Data in real-time and push it changes back to Jira is pretty sweet. 

Heads up for anyone interested in the Google Sheets Integration; you'll need to be the admin for your G-Suite organization (or have the admin authorize the add-on for you). It takes some time to set up and configure (about 10-20 minutes) but once everything is configured it does the job.

-Adam

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer