It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What jira actions automatically add a user to Watchers?

Is there a document that lists which actions on a JIRA issue will automatically add the actor as a Watcher on the issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I wasn't able to find any documentation on what automatically adds a user as a watcher but as far as I know, only commenting will automatically add a user as a watcher. I tested the following and non of them added the user who tested as a watcher.

• Transitioning the issue
  • Editing the issue
  • Linking the issue
  • Assigning the issue (to someone else and themselves)

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

For every new issue a user creates or works on, they are automatically added to the watcher's list.

Here is the article that describes why and how to disable this property.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-stop-being-automatically-added-to-the-watcher-s-list-when-working-on-issues-298975297.html

Hello @Tuncay Senturk _Snapbytes_ 

Thank you for your reply.

We are using JIRA Cloud. The user preference setting is not available in JIRA Cloud, and the other options disables it across the board for all users, which we are not yet choosing to do.

That also does not answer my question which is what actions cause a user to be automatically added as a watcher. I know creating an issue and adding a comment does it. Are there any other actions that will automatically add the user as a watcher? 

Sorry, I missed cloud part.

Anyway, I also could not find particular documentation but, the link I mentioned above  says "a user creates or works on". So, any activity on issue might add user as a watcher.

Some are mentioned by @Cody Stevens _Community_  but there may be more e.g. work log, comment, ..

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you