What jira actions automatically add a user to Watchers?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

Is there a document that lists which actions on a JIRA issue will automatically add the actor as a Watcher on the issue?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cody Stevens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2019

I wasn't able to find any documentation on what automatically adds a user as a watcher but as far as I know, only commenting will automatically add a user as a watcher. I tested the following and non of them added the user who tested as a watcher.

• Transitioning the issue
  • Editing the issue
  • Linking the issue
  • Assigning the issue (to someone else and themselves)
0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

For every new issue a user creates or works on, they are automatically added to the watcher's list.

Here is the article that describes why and how to disable this property.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-stop-being-automatically-added-to-the-watcher-s-list-when-working-on-issues-298975297.html

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2019

Hello @Tuncay Senturk 

Thank you for your reply.

We are using JIRA Cloud. The user preference setting is not available in JIRA Cloud, and the other options disables it across the board for all users, which we are not yet choosing to do.

That also does not answer my question which is what actions cause a user to be automatically added as a watcher. I know creating an issue and adding a comment does it. Are there any other actions that will automatically add the user as a watcher? 

Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2019

Sorry, I missed cloud part.

Anyway, I also could not find particular documentation but, the link I mentioned above  says "a user creates or works on". So, any activity on issue might add user as a watcher.

Some are mentioned by @Cody Stevens  but there may be more e.g. work log, comment, ..

Suggest an answer