What is your most valuable Jira "trick"

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2012

Hi all!

I have been using Jira for a year, year and a half now, and I'm constantly finding new small tricks that makes my Jira day just a little bit easier. An example - instead of "manually" changing the version on a issue on the Planning board, drag and drop the issue on the version you want it to instead on the right hand side. I found this "hidden" feature (most likely it is documented somewhere, but I've never taken the time to read the user doc very much) after 1 years of use.

So I came up with the idea to ask the question here - to get similar information from others - some small features that make your day just a little bit easier, especially with operations you do often :)

4 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

I did a trick to have several initial statuses in a workflow.

We set up our public-facing JIRA's workflow with a "New Issue" status, which means that the issue should be validated by someone at ALM Works. There's a transition "Confirm" from that status to status "Open", when the issue is confirmed to be valid.

However, when the issue is already posted by someone at ALM Works, it is obviously valid, so the status should be "Open" from the start. Sadly, JIRA's workflow engine does not support multiple initial statuses.

The trick I did was:

1. Make sure "Confirm" transition has a security check so that only members of the team can execute it;
  2. Export current workflow as XML;
  3. Find the "Confirm" action and add "auto" attribute to it:
    <action name="Confirm" id="311" auto="true">....</action>
  4. Update workflow (or create new one) from the modified XML.

Works great! Now when our guys post an issue, it's in the "New Issue" status but then gets automatically transitioned to "Open". When someone else posts an issue, they don't have permissions to execute "Confirm" and the issue remains in the "New Issue" state.

I don't think this is documented for JIRA, but there's some documentation in the OpenSymphony project.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2012

Nice trick!

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

How is this in regards to Jira upgrades? Have there been any issues related to it or do you consider the risk of incompatability as small?

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Haven't had any problems with this during upgrades from 4.0 up to current 4.4. This functionality is part of the "osworkflow" open-source library, which is the basis for the workflows in JIRA, so I consider the risk quite small.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2014

Interesting. For the docs I had to download the source package from https://java.net/downloads/osworkflow/which has the HTML docs as well

G March 8, 2016

Hi,

I'm just wondering if this still works in JIRA 6.4 before I try it out. I was going to address a similar problem by using fast track transition to another status if the user creating the ticket isn't in a particular group but this looks interesting.

Cheers,

Gaj

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 8, 2016

Hi Gaj, didn't try it on JIRA 6.4, but I believe it should work. The "OS Workflow" subsystem is still there and hasn't been changed in a while.

Igor

pablo pra December 2, 2016

Hi, nice tick! thanks...

Do you know how to hide the "new status" (or any status)  from the User Interface diagram ?

(if it is posible)

regards,

Paul

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2016

Hey Paul, I'm not sure if it is possible, but if it is, it would be a functionality of the Workflow Designer interface in the admin section.

5 votes
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Definitely the Keyboard Shortcuts, a lot of people forget about them but it's probably one of the most underrated features ever. For example, try it by pressing the "." on any JIRA ticket.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

I've never been that into keyboard shortcuts other than the most used ones. But I'll start exploring them now; "underrated features". :)

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Biased yes, still think its most valuable, oh yea. https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.dolby.atlassian.jira.jirasu

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

Yes, useful, same function exists in script runner too ;-)

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

If we are praising ourselves this plugin: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.rightsdna

The beta, which is due next week, gives advices on how to fix your permissions :P, has sanity reports on users. Stay tuned!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

;-)

Su exit - logout then log back in again!

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

@Jamie, as awesome as the scriptrunner is, I think its only going to do half the SU function, unable to do the SU-exit? SU plugin value add!

2 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

I had written a groovy script in behaviours plugin which was suppose to run on all screens(create issue screen ,transition screens)

i needed the project id in my script to get all versions of the project ,for this i used Object pid = getFieldById("pid") but pid is only available on issue creation screen(i realized this very late) .... but issue id is available on other screens , so

List&lt;Version&gt; projVersions=new ArrayList();

Object pid = getFieldById("pid")
    Object id = getFieldById("id")

if(pid.value!=null){
        projVersions=ComponentManager.getInstance().getVersionManager().getVersions(Long.parseLong(pid.value));
    }   
    else{
        MutableIssue missue=ComponentManager.getInstance().getIssueManager().getIssueObject(Long.parseLong(id.value))
	projectid=missue.getProjectObject().getId();
        projVersions=ComponentManager.getInstance().getVersionManager().getVersions(projectid);

}

This helped at that time so its valuable for me :)

Suggest an answer