What is the syntax for creating an issue by email?

Christo Fogelberg July 3, 2013

I have issue creation by email set up and working in my OnDemand instance, and if I send an email with subject "Issue Summary" then that will be its summary. Likewise, any text in the body of the email will be its description.

How do I specify whether the issue type (feature, bug, task etc) and everything else (e.g. assignee, importance, due date etc) in the email?

Thanks,
Christo

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013
Custom fields and other system fields can be populated by using JEMH plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

This is an OnDemand question, so JEMH is not available based upon this link.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=315326753#AtlassianOnDemandandAdd-ons%28Plugins%29-JIRA

Christo Fogelberg July 6, 2013

OK, thanks everyone for your help. It is disappointing this is not available in OnDemand - it seems like such a basic, core piece of functionality

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013

If you need custom handling of email parameters, you can define your own email processor (which is hosted elsewhere) which polls the mailbox and creates/updates JIRA issue using the REST interface of JIRA.

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

You can not define the issue type in the mail itself. You can work around this by setting up an IMAP mailserver on your instance. On the actual mailbox itself, you can create mail rules placing incoming emails into certain maps based on whatever you have defined in the filter. Next, you can build several mail handlers, each one for a particular issue type, and have that mail handler read out the folder of the mail account in which you have placed the mails relevant to that issue type. You can set the assignee of the issue with the "Cc Assignee" option in the mail handler configuration. Any of the other options can not be set through the mail itself.

MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2013

See this knowledge base article for some details

Christo Fogelberg July 4, 2013

Thank you Mick - I've now been able to set up a second email address for bugs (versus features). However I'm still not sure how to specify the issue parameters (due date etc) in the email subject or body. Is this possible?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2013

It's not possible in OnDemand.

Suggest an answer