What is the purpose of Edit permissions on issue filters

Ingrid Talbot November 18, 2019

When creating a Filter on JIRA, you can set View and Edit permissions.

On a number of filters I have set the "Edit" permissions to be the company Project Managers. But when I am logged in as a Project Manager, there is no option for me to edit the filter.

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 11.39.35.png

Hence I am not sure I understand what the "Edit" permissions are supposed to provide, as it is still only the Owner who can do anything to the filter.

The Project Manager user role does have access to Create Shared Objects and Manage Group Filter Subscriptions.

There are team boards where the Project Manager and Team Lead both need to be able to edit the board's issue filter, and it appeared that the Edit permissions should provide this, but it appears not.

I don't know what permission I am missing here?

2 answers

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2019

Hi @Ingrid Talbot and welcome to Community!

The Edit permission does indeed refer to the ability to edit a filter. It looks like you may be mixing up groups and project roles: in your screenshot, the group AMZ Project Manager has edit permissions but you're then refering to the Project Manager user role.

edit-filter.png

In the filter edit permission, can you please replace the AMZ Project Manager group with the Project Manager role and try again?

Hope this helps,

- Manon

Hi Manon

Sorry, the precise wording between Groups and Project Roles make things slightly confusing.

We are only using Groups to assign permissions within our company on our JIRA.

So the Group of AMZ Project Managers has been assigned the Edit permission on the filters, but the users within that Group do not have the ability to edit and save those filters as expected.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2019

Thanks for these details. I've just read again your first post, can you confirm how the other project manager user try to edit the filter? From which menu? Can you please share a screenshot?

Also, just to be sure, can you please share a screenshot of this user's group membership?

Ingrid Talbot November 19, 2019

Hi Manon

I've just tested it again and now it appears to work.

Perhaps running JIRA updates over the weekend fixed the block that we had - or the re-indexing changed the necessary permissions!

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2019

Thanks for the update, glad it all worked out!

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2019

There is no explicit option to "Edit" the filter.  However, if you have the Edit permission, you have the ability to run the filter query, change it slightly, then save the updated filter.

Users without the Edit permission will only get the "Save As" option when running the filter query.

Hi Pete

I am expecting this behavior with the permissions that I have set up: "...have the Edit permission, ..., save the updated filter."

But this is not what we are experiencing.

Users with the Edit permission cannot save the updated filter.

Suggest an answer