What is the logical formula used to calculate scope change in the Sprint Health Gadget?

Matthew Duff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2019

Hello,

I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question by searching the Atlassian Community Forums and the web in a more general sense.  I am looking for an explicit formula depicting how scope change is calculated in the gadget. 

I found the following issue, but it did not lead me to such a formula--or at least I haven't been able to find it anyway...

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-9681

Of particular interest to me is whether the scope change calculation accounts for the absolute value of story points added OR removed from a sprint--something like this:

scope change = (absolute value of story points added or removed from a sprint) / (# of story points committed to in the sprint)

If the absolute value is not used, please justify how the calculation is made.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Ginter April 5, 2021

I think I can help.

Details of how the calculation works, including the important of the start time of the sprint...

Solved: How does the sprint health gadget calculate scope ... (atlassian.com)

My response to why the absolute value is not used...

Solved: How does Sprint Health Gadget calculate Scope chan... (atlassian.com)

0 votes
rateodoros
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 6, 2020

I have the same question. Pretty diffcult to find an answer, and there's also a question about it from 2014. Looks like we'll never know.

Suggest an answer