What is the gh.epic.label.name field in Jira and why has it appeared in Create Issue?

Since our upgrade to Jira 6.0.4 (from 5.1.3) A field called gh.epic.lable.name (description: gh.epic.label.desc) has suddenly appeared in the Create Issue screen when I select the Epic Issue Type.

The "gh" bit hints at it being related to Greenhopper. Apart from that, I haven't found any helpful information about it despite various searches here, in Atlassian documentation and Google. So:

• Should it be appearing at all?
  • What is it's purpose?
  • Why can't I save an Epic without entering something in it?
  • What is the correct thing to enter in it?

Thanks in advance for any help. J

6 answers

I've run into this same issue and have the same questions as Justin McCamish. Would somebody from Atlassian please advice?

I have the same problem with my installation. Since upgrading to 5.2, we have had this issue.

I have the latest version of JIRA and JIRA Agile installed and I am still seeing this issue. The above steps do not make it clear as to what exactly I should do.

It's possibly a by-product of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9231

Still, I'm not 100% clear what to do about it.

Do you have greenhopper installed? Did you ever had greenhopper installed? It feels like the greenhopper resource is missing to translate the tag to text.

Yes, we've always had Greenhopper installed and it's working fine otherwise.

BTW, we followed the upgrade procedure here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Upgrading+JIRA+Using+a+Rapid+Upgrade+Method

...and everything is pretty standard in our installation.

Hi Justin,

I believe you are facing this know bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9193

Cheers,

Ricardo.

Hey Ricardo, thanks for the response.

You are probably correct, though I notice that the description of GHS-9193 implies that the bug is mostly about incorrect display names being created for these fields by the Greenhopper installation process.

Unfortunately, while GHS-9193 advises administrators to simply rename these fields it isn't clear what they should be renamed to.

Also, I still haven't been able to find out why the field is mandatory (it wasn't a default, mandatory field when creating Epics in v5.1.3) and what information should be entered into it.

If you can shed some further light please that would great. Cheers, J

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,264 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot