What is the gh.epic.label.name field in Jira and why has it appeared in Create Issue?

Justin McCamish July 16, 2013

Since our upgrade to Jira 6.0.4 (from 5.1.3) A field called gh.epic.lable.name (description: gh.epic.label.desc) has suddenly appeared in the Create Issue screen when I select the Epic Issue Type.

The "gh" bit hints at it being related to Greenhopper. Apart from that, I haven't found any helpful information about it despite various searches here, in Atlassian documentation and Google. So:

• Should it be appearing at all?
  • What is it's purpose?
  • Why can't I save an Epic without entering something in it?
  • What is the correct thing to enter in it?

Thanks in advance for any help. J

6 answers

1 vote
christian mccarrick August 26, 2013

I have the latest version of JIRA and JIRA Agile installed and I am still seeing this issue. The above steps do not make it clear as to what exactly I should do.

1 vote
Aaron Daubman August 19, 2013

I've run into this same issue and have the same questions as Justin McCamish. Would somebody from Atlassian please advice?

David Wesst October 2, 2013

I have the same problem with my installation. Since upgrading to 5.2, we have had this issue.

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Hi Justin,

I believe you are facing this know bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9193

Cheers,

Ricardo.

Justin McCamish July 17, 2013

Hey Ricardo, thanks for the response.

You are probably correct, though I notice that the description of GHS-9193 implies that the bug is mostly about incorrect display names being created for these fields by the Greenhopper installation process.

Unfortunately, while GHS-9193 advises administrators to simply rename these fields it isn't clear what they should be renamed to.

Also, I still haven't been able to find out why the field is mandatory (it wasn't a default, mandatory field when creating Epics in v5.1.3) and what information should be entered into it.

If you can shed some further light please that would great. Cheers, J

0 votes

Yes, we've always had Greenhopper installed and it's working fine otherwise.

BTW, we followed the upgrade procedure here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Upgrading+JIRA+Using+a+Rapid+Upgrade+Method

...and everything is pretty standard in our installation.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013

Do you have greenhopper installed? Did you ever had greenhopper installed? It feels like the greenhopper resource is missing to translate the tag to text.

0 votes

It's possibly a by-product of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9231

Still, I'm not 100% clear what to do about it.

Suggest an answer