What is the different between Data Center Compatible vs Added support for Jira Data Center ?

andrianf April 7, 2021

Usually I use the "Hosting option" section under a plugin listing in the Marketplace to determine if a plugin works in Jira Data center or not.

I came across this plugin "Tenable Plug-in for Jira" in Atlassian marketplace which doesn't contain "Data Center" under the hosting option. However under the latest release notes for the plugin it says "Added support for Jira Data Center".

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219681/tenable-plug-in-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=versions

Can someone help me understand what this means ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2021

Hi @andrianf 

Data center compatible means it meets all of Atlassian's requirements to be considered a Data Center application. The application vendor will also provide support for issues related to Data Center.

Added support means from the vendor's standpoint it should work on Data Center. Though it may not meet Atlassian's actual requirements. The vendor may or may not support the application on Data Center, whether it be because they do not have the knowledge or because they choose not to. However, some may. Sometimes it's also a stop gap until they release their Data Center version.

In my perspective, I wouldn't install a non-Data Center app in a Data Center instance as Jira tends to be a tool a company needs to function in order to complete work. Apps cause about 30% of outages give or take. So if you add an App and it crashes and you need to remove it and can't add it back because you can't get support, but you have x number of users who use it that have no workarounds for working without it, you've put yourself in an avoidable bind.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Clark

andrianf April 7, 2021

Hi @Clark Everson 

Thank you very much for the above explanation !

Like Clark Everson likes this

Suggest an answer