What is the difference between project types?

palgarze July 10, 2013

That's the question.

Regards!

15 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

7 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

Are you referring to the project types available in 6.x? If so, they currently don't have any special functionality yet.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

You're welcome! :)

palgarze July 10, 2013

Thanks!, that answer me question!

Regards!

Jason Glover September 19, 2013

That is terrible.

I feel like I jsut wasted the last 30 minutes of my life trying to figure out which project type to choose for my 2nd project. I wanted it to be the same as for the first project.

I was afraid I would make the wrong choice and have an incorrectly configured project that I'd never be able to "get right" once I found out I'd made the wrong choice.

Like # people like this
Om Nepali February 17, 2014

Same with me. I spend almost 30 min in trying to find how they diiffer.

3 votes
Tim Evans
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2015

The project types are described in the documentation on "Defining a Project"

Please keep in mind the project types being discussed are those present in JIRA 6.4.x and older. These types are used to determine the initial configuration of a project and are not used after the project is created.

As of JIRA 7 there are project types that are used to determine the what features show when viewing the project. The project types are Business, Software and Service Desk and are discussed in our documentation:

Cheers!

Tim | Atlassian

1 vote
Micheal Planck January 27, 2021

It's 2021. I am still asking the same question. JIRA tells me I can't change project types; instead, I have to create a new project and bulk-move my issues.

But I still don't know what the difference between project types is.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2021

I think you have landed in the wrong place in this conversation.

Not because you have misread or misunderstood anything.  This conversation looks, at a glance, relevant to "project type".

But it is old.  8 years old.  The meaning of "Project type" changed radically in October 2015, and this conversation really has no relevance.

Rather than try to compare everything and write a boring essay, I would like to ask you to ask you to raise a new question for this.  A new question will get a much wider audience and probably references to changing project types that I've not run into yet.

Like Micheal Planck likes this
1 vote
Dave Hergert June 11, 2014

Picking a different Project Type will affect your project's initial setup to some extent and once you pick one, you can further modify your project if you don't like exactly how it set it up.

ach Project Type will setup the project with a different set of:

• Issue Types
  • Custom Fields
  • Workflow and Statuses

The JIRA Agile product introduces even more project types and the differences are mainly around the workflow being simpler and more conducive to agile processes. A good answer to another question is here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/228005/what-is-the-difference-between-project-types-jira-agile

1 vote
johnmdev September 8, 2013

Using OnDemand (2013-09), there _does_ seem to be a difference. When a project is created with the "Simple Issue Tracking" project type, the worklog buttons show up when anonymous is allowed to "Browse Projects". However, when creating a project with a different project type, the worklog buttons don't show up. This seems to be related to the workflow scheme being used.

Please confirm or explain what I may be doing/understanding incorrectly.

0 votes
Johannes Rudolf December 22, 2015

Glad to read this, so I spent only a couple minutes... Thank you! :D

0 votes
Adam_Mendoza May 26, 2014

Can someone from Attlasian answer this question? Where can we learn more about the different projec types?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2014
They are templates that set up your new project with default schemes that ate hopefully the mist suitable for the project tow selected. Once created, the project type has no more effect
0 votes
YassineM March 12, 2014

Hello,

How can we disable those template!! I mean, we would like to create automatically a Blank Project without having the panel to choose among those template?

Any clue please.

Thanks,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2014

You can disable the templates by going into the "manage plugins" in the UPM, looking at the system plugins and finding the templates plugin. Then disable the *modules* you don't need.

Do NOT disable the whole plugin, or you could lose the ability to create any projects. Also, you won't be able to do this in OnDemand. And you'll still have to choose a project type, even if you get it down to one single type.

0 votes
Om Nepali February 17, 2014

Same with me. I spend almost 30 min in trying to find how they diiffer.

0 votes
palgarze July 10, 2013

That's right... I was banging my head.... thanks to both!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2013

Ah, Natalie beat me to it. I've filed that at the back of my head under "irrelevant as it doesn't do anything yet", so it didn't spring to mind at all. Sorry about that.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Haha, I know what you mean - I don't know why in the world they've bothered to put that in there when it doesn't do anything yet. Just leads to confusion if you ask me. :)

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

As you can see in my answer and the link I provide to documentation, they don't have any special functionality yet (but Atlassian has put them in place for future customization). :)

0 votes
palgarze July 10, 2013

Thanks!

When in JIRA you click the "Create Project" option, it shows a dialog box asking for a project type, you can select one from the options: Blank, bug tracking, software development, project management and so on... but, whichever option I select, the options for the project, they are all the same (or that seems to me). So I'd like to know what's the difference to choose between one or another type of project.

BTW: I'm new to JIRA

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2013

Which system? When you say "project" it probably implies Jira, but I don't want to bet on that.

Whichever system it is, what do you mean by "project type"?

palgarze July 10, 2013

Right!, JIRA projects

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2013

ok. And, again, what do you mean by "project type"?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question