What is the difference between admin user roles in JIRA?

Wanda L. Lugo January 25, 2018

What is the difference between these 3:

Administrators

JIRA Administrators

Site Admins

I don't quite know which has what permissions.

3 answers

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2018

The best answer to this question has been covered by a dedicated article by Rachel Wright:

https://www.jirastrategy.com/content/who-does-what-in-jira

Wanda L. Lugo January 26, 2018

Thank you Ignacio.  I will review the article.  

0 votes
Wanda L. Lugo January 25, 2018

Thank you very much :)  

On that first one, Administrators, can they create and administer projects, issue types, fields, workflows, and schemes for all projects?

I need an Admin role that can only create and delete users, nothing more.  Is this possible?

Will i need to add a new permission like 'Add Users and Groups'?

I don't see a Project Admin role in our instance...  Is it possible to create one?

Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Yes, the first one can configure Jira on content level.

No, you cannot restrict an admin only to manage the users. Then its better to introduce LDAP and add users from outside to Jira.

There is no role "Project Administrator". The permission is called "Administer Project", that can be mapped to a system-wide role named individually.

Like Martina Zibrínová likes this
Wanda L. Lugo January 26, 2018

Thank you Sebastian.  You have been very helpful!

0 votes
Sebastian Kleinholz
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2018

The first can do most admin stuff, like creating users.

The second is the supersuer guy: Backup/Restores, this one can fully blow up a whole instance.

The third: You mean Project Admin, or? Site Admins are in Confluence. This one can manage all around one Project.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events