What is the difference between //US//service_name and //RS//service_name

Ben Geng July 8, 2011

//US//service_name is all over the places of JIRA documentation, but my JIRA installation is set as "tomcat6 //RS//JIRA200611140221", what is the difference? does it matter?

2 answers

2 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2011

In Windows, use ES for Edit Service.

You need to run tomcat6W.exe (note the W) to configure the service - set memory, runtime parameters, etc - from a command prompt, eg,

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA 4.3.4\bin> tomcat6w //ES//JIRA090611161252

The service itself uses tomcat6.exe. If you check the registry for the image path for the windows service you will find it's set to something like

"C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA 4.3.4\bin\tomcat6.exe" //RS//JIRA090611161252

(no W)

You normally wouldn't need to go near this as the installer sets up the service.

Ben Geng July 10, 2011

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the //RS in my windows registry and hence asked the question. //US did not work for me when I was trying to turn on Jelly with //US//service_name +JvmOptions="-Djira.jelly.on=true". I had to add this option into the registry manually. so I guess //ES would work then? will give it a try later.

2 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2011

"US" stands for "Update Service" and "RS" stands for "Run Service".

The US commands given in the docs are for modifying parameters of the service (e.g. customising memory settings), but the service itself is started with the RS command.

Ben Geng July 10, 2011

thanks for the info.

//US did not work for me when I was trying to turn on Jelly with //US//service_name +JvmOptions="-Djira.jelly.on=true". I had to add this option into the registry manually. guess I should use //ES as Jim indicated.

Suggest an answer