What is the difference between JIRA enterprise release and other normal JIRA release?

Vinod Honnalli December 23, 2019

Hi All,

I would like to understand the difference between JIRA software enterprise release and other normal release.

in Enterprise Release, i do understand that

1. 2 years of support and bug fixing, which they do in normal release too ?

2. How are they fixing the bug in current version (ex. Jira Software 8.0) without releasing the now version for it ? Kindly correct me if mt understanding is wrong.

Also please let me know if i am missing any points to understand the enterprise release.

Regards,

Vinod

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2019

Hi @Vinod Honnalli ,

As mentioned in the FAQ of Atlassian Enterprise Releases.

1.   What are all of these different release types, and how are they different?
  2. As described in the article the bug fix version is the last digit of the current version 6.8.1.
    1. You can then upgrade to this version knowing no major/feature changes happened to this version only bugfixes

--

Example

Confluence 6.8.0 is the latest version available. We discover a bug that affects all 6.7 and 6.8 versions. The fix is made available in the next bug fix release, which in this case would be 6.8.1. Customers running 6.7.3, for example, would need to upgrade to 6.8.1, as we do not backport bug fixes. 

Version 6.7.3 is already passed 6 months from the date of release and therefore it will not have the bugfix version. If it is still under 6 months that would be bugfix version of this is 6.7.4 but that is not the case for this example.

If your version is 6.6 which is an Enterprise release then Atlassian will provide a bug fix your version it maybe 6.6.15 as long as the 2-year standard support is valid, in the example it is valid.

--

References

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/enterprise/introducing-enterprise-releases

Vinod Honnalli December 24, 2019

Hi @brbojorque ,

Thanks for making me understand.

I have a question, in standard release.

It mean that Atlassian will release the bug fix for a version (ex. 7.4) within 6 months and if not they will  fix the big in feature release in new version (ex. 7.5)

Regards,

Vinod

1 vote
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2019

Hi @Vinod Honnalli ,

Please checkout the following link which contains detailed information regarding your query: https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/atlassian-enterprise-releases-948227420.html

0 votes
Nirmani Kalakheti
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2020

@Vinod Honnalli 

1. 2 Years of support and bug fixing - I think they normally do. 

2. Fixing the bug in Current Version - AFAIK, No they don't fix or provide patches. See below:

I just came to know that it will always result in a newer version number. ER ( now LTS) version is not really a back ported or provide patch to your ER version. If you find bugs or security issues then you will end up installing new point/fixed version where the issues are fixed. Atlassian will always make a point version within that LTS version series. For example, 8.5.x are the point versions of ER version 8.5. 

Can someone from Atlassian or Community Leader comment on this or provide detailed information?

Suggest an answer