What is the difference between Component and Epic?

What is the difference between Component and Epic?

4 answers

Best answer is here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stories-vs-epics-components-modelling-product-jira-piotr/

Main takeaway: Epics are groupings for stories, can go cross projects and should have an end in time. Components more "product categories" that are related only to one project, timeless and kind of endless in scope and can be divided in "sub-products".

I'd also look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Working+with+Epics for a description of Epics - they are VERY different from components.

Planning to use both JIRA components (i,e for grouping issues under a project into needed logical components) and EPICs (i,e used as features to group the related issues) in my project.

JIRA Issues/development stories will be linked to both components and EPICs in my project for a specific release/version to be released.

With the above project configuration/structure in Jira, I would need to track the followings:

1) In a specific release/version, how many features are assigned and it’s impacted Components details.

2) The progress status of each Component for a specific feature.

Here mainly a Feature will be impacted on multiple components to develop and deliver stories linked into it. 

Please suggest, whether it's a best practive in Agile do this or any other suggestion???  

Ok, that's the right way to use them.

Both of your reports can be done by creating and saving a filter for the issues you want to track and use it in some dashboard gadgets - they can slice up your data by component, epic or whatever.

Agile doesn't have a lot to say about this, it's more about the planning and visualisation of "now" that it does.  You can carry on doing things in an Agile way, and group your issues up with Epics and Components fine.

Thanks Nic Brough for your prompt confirmation.

Can you provide concrete examples of what you mean? E.g., what would be an example of a component vs an epic?

An epic is a big chunk of work made up of many parts (stories), a component is something you put on a story or sub-task to show that it relates to a part of your project.

ok, so an epic would be like "user accounts" and a component would be like "db", "backend", "frontend"?

Assuming the "user accounts" is a far-reaching job like "merge two companies accounts together" or "implement user accounts across all our applications"

Hey there,

would it be correct to say, that: 

- Epics are to be used to slide your product into smaller features or group of features, and therefore to be used by product/business folks

- Components are rather the parts of the software or system your product is made of, and therefore to be used by architect or developers?

cheers!

Not really.

- Epics are used to gather stories into highly related groups of larger features or groups of features, and are there to be used by anyone, although generally, product owners should be in charge of them

- Components are pieces of the *project* you are working in at a low level.  Also to be used by anyone, but the main users are likely to be developers, project leads and the people in the project who understand how to break down what the project is for.

This was the most easy to understand answer for difference between Epic and Component.

Calogero, your link returns some 'Page level restriction' error. 

I found out that they are just a different way to tagging issues in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHpXvDXVrw. Don't remember when he said it.

In my opinion, I would rather use Epic links instead of components because you can filter it better in Agile Boards. But just an opinion.

No, they are absolutely NOT "different ways to tag an issue". You've misunderstood what he's saying. For example:

• A component belongs to a project. An Epic can be linked across many projects.
  • Component is stored as a field on an issue. An Epic is an issue in its own right and has to have issues linked to it.
  • A component can have a user associated with it. An Epic can have one or many users, dates, text, numbers and any other fields you want added to it
  • Components allow you to group, find and do simple reports on issues. Epics are there to group issues, break down the overall piece of work into many pieces, reporting on progress, effort etc etc etc

The list of differences goes on. They are not just simple tagging items (in fact, if you want to claim something is for simple tagging, use the "labels" field, which is different again)

Yes, I misunderstood that. Thanks to clearing it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

25,658 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you