What is the best way to prepare a senior management view of all my sprints on going across products.

Preem Prakassh Dayaal September 21, 2022

Hi Team 

Can someone help me with this ? 

I have a requirement as below ?

Scenario 1 : 10 projects and each project is SCRUM with sprints in progress. If I want to club all the projects and their sprints and prepare a visualisation for leadership , how can I achieve this ?

I understand that we need to use Jira Dashboard but need elaboration . Please help 

Regards

Preem

2 answers

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 6, 2022

Hi @Preem Prakassh Dayaal,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

Our app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards might be useful for you.

With our app you can add a Quick Controller gadget to your dashboard, which filters gadgets on your dashboard dynamically.

For example could you filter all gadgets on your project per Sprint or Project. This enables you to relevant information per Sprint/Project without creating several dashboards.

quick-filters-jira_quick-controller.png You can check out our app without installation on our demo dashboards.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Hi @Preem Prakassh Dayaal -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First thing: what problem is "senior management" trying to solve by seeing this information?

Knowing this will help you know what information to gather to effectively answer their questions/needs.  And if you share that, the community can better offer you ideas to try with Jira.

Kind regards,
Bill

Preem Prakassh Dayaal September 21, 2022

Thanks Bill. 

Yes sure .  

For the senior management , the focus is below  to name a few 

1. At any given point of time , leadership should be able to see the progress of various sprints in progress for example 

Project 1 - Sprint 20 - status 

Project 2 - Sprint 31 - status 

2. At any point in time , leadership should have the visibility on the key risks / issues which needs attention 

3. Bottom line is that they should have visibility on how the teams are able to meet the customer promised timelines etc 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2022

Thanks for that information.  I recommend creating some saved JQL filters to gather the issues you want, and then create a dashboard to try the built-in reporting first.  Show those to leaders to see how they help, and what adjustments to make.

The Sprint Health Gadget may show what you describe for project/board and sprint progress.

Regarding "key risks / issues" you will need to define how you know something is one of those, and then perhaps use the Filter Results or the Two-Dimensional Filter Statistics gadgets.

For timelines, you may not be able to show those on dashboard with built-in gadgets.  One work-around would be to create a saved JQL filter which compares Due Date to time functions, such as endOfWeek() and show those in an issue filter.  Another option is to investigate the Jira Marketplace for addon reporting/gadgets to purchase.

For a single project, you can also use the built-in Basic Roadmap feature to see a view that looks like a Gantt chart.

Like Preem Prakassh Dayaal likes this
Preem Prakassh Dayaal September 22, 2022

Thanks so much , Bill . Really appreciate your response. This is very helpful. 

Few follow up questions 

1. in your second point wherein you mentioned about key risks and issues to be shown , can you elaborate ?  Do you have any pointers for the same ? 

Also , in Agile when we mitigate risks / issues on a daily basis in our daily standup , where do you think in Jira is the best to record the same ? Any best practices you wish to share? 

I will surely try writing the filters and then accessing the gadgets and then build it incrementally as you recommend. Thank you once again , Bill 

Regards

Preem

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2022

Regarding risks, how do you indicate an issue is one of these?  For example, let's assume you add a label such as High-Risk.  You could then create a JQL statement to find those, and save it as a named filter:

project = myProjectName AND labels IN ("High-Risk)

Then using a Filter Results gadget, those items could be shown on the dashboard.

Regarding daily work and seeing problems, one good way to do that is for the team to keep the number of items in-progress low.  Thus when there is a problem/blocker, the team can readily see it and swarm to help.

When there are more issues on the board/in-progress, it may also help to add a label, like I mentioned above, or better still use the Add Flag feature.  You may right-click an issue on the board to add/remove a flag with a comment, and such items are highlighted on the board to improve visibility.

Like Preem Prakassh Dayaal likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events