What is the best way to organize my projects and teams?

Lilyan Fernandes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 16, 2022

Hi Team,

I'm new to Jira, so I need some guidance in what is the best way to organize my projects. I'm an admin from my company, and my goal is to understand the metrics of my teams so I can better manage the workload and roadmap.

Here is some context: today we have a product that is developed by 2 different teams (Front End and Back End). In the future, we'll have an extra product that will be developed by these 2 teams.

Today we have a project with the backlog of my product, and issues are now worked by both teams - they use tags to know when is FE and when is BE.

My issue now is for generating reports for velocity, burndown per team since they share the same backlog.

So my question is:

• Would be better to have 2 projects (1 per team)?
    • If the answer is YES, how can manage the product roadmap (since epics/stories are worked by both teams)?
    • If NO, how can I configure reports/dashboards to follow each team metric?

Thank you!

Lilyan

2 answers

2 votes
Nataliya Vasyliv_Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 17, 2022

Hi @Lilyan Fernandes 

It's a good idea to use one Project for one product even you have a several Teams. 

As an example, in our ActivityTimeline plugin is a several Teams on a timeline view dashboard and one Project with a multiple tasks in backlog. There are different Epics to separate the branch. Or you can use a Components for easier search. 
2022-03-17_13h46_25.png

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2022

Hello Lilyan, and welcome to the community!

There are different approaches you can take to organize the data. I would check out What is a Jira Software project? as a place to start. Projects are merely a collection of issues, and in the documentation Atlassian mentions that you can use projects to represent development work for a product, project, or service.

I would personally recommend keeping all of your work for one product in one Jira project. How you configure each team metric is up to you, but since you mentioned "front end" and "back end" I would use components to track frontend and backend work.

If you use components, then you can write JQL filters that query "project = <project key> and component = <frontend or backend>" that you can plug into dashboards for each team metric.

Furthermore, you could create and configure 2 different Jira Software boards, and change the board filter for each board to pull either frontend or backend work.

There's different ways to approach this, which is what makes Jira super awesome as far as it's flexibility. This is my personal recommendation.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer