What is the best way to fully migrate a project from TFS to JIRA

sreeram krishnaswamy September 23, 2015

2 answers

0 votes
Azfar_Masut May 22, 2017

You can use TFS4JIRA plugins.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.spartez.jira.plugins.bork.tfs4jira/cloud/overview 

Basically, this tool can perform a sync between your TFS and JIRA issues. Thus, all issues from TFS will be imported to JIRA. But, do be informed that there are limitation such as history and certain type of fields cant be migrated, and attachment size is limited. 

I'll share a blog regarding this later on once my project is completed

Taha Helal July 4, 2017

Hi Azfar 

Actually i'm interested in migrate between TFS and JIRA so if i saved a bugs in TFS through MTM how could the bugs appear in JIRA or how could i query bugs from TFS through jira , or maybe i try to another soluation by export all bugs from tfs and import it to jira?

thanks in advance  

Azfar_Masut July 4, 2017

Hey Taha,

"if i saved a bugs in TFS through MTM" - I'm not really sure the MTM you are referring to here. 

Basically, using the TFS4JIRA tool, you can create a migration profile for each work item type you would like to migrate to JIRA. So for example, if you want to migrate Bug WIT from TFS to JIRA, this is how the flow is:

1. Create a migration profile in TFS4JIRA tool for Bug WIT migration
  2. Create a filter in TFS to filter only the bugs issue
  3. Apply the TFS filter to the TFS4JIRA tool
  4. Map the needed TFS fields to JIRA fields to migrate the data
  5. Run the migration profile
  6. The bug WIT will be imported to JIRA

So basically, for example, if your project have 4 WIT type (such as bugs, improvement etc), you have to create 4 migration profile to migrate each of the work item type.

Hope this helps

Like # people like this
Taha Helal July 5, 2017

Hi Azfer,

I really appreciate your help . to make it clear i can create bug on MTM and it saved and appeared on TFS i can export WIT bug from TFS easilly as csv file .The point now is to export bugs from TFS through jira orit automatic created at jira .

* How can i create migrate profile . and run it ?

i just want to import WIT bugs only on jira

If i install TFS4JIRA tool then i could see all bug that created on TFS through Jira 

Thanks

Azfar_Masut July 5, 2017

Hey Taha,

No problem. So,follow this exact step:

1. Install TFS4JIRA add-on in JIRA
  2. Install TFS4Sychronizer
  3. In TFS, create a filter to filter only bugs issue
  4. Go to TFS4Sychronizer, create a migration/synchronization profile. Refer here
  5. Next, configure the JIRA project and TFS project with the filter created in that migration profile
  6. Once done, you can trigger the import of WIT Bugs to JIRA

If you need further detailed steps/help on this, I would recommend you to contact the Spartez Support - support@spartez.com

Cheers

Pascale Queva August 8, 2017

Dear Azfar,

Thanks for all the info. This is helpful.
About your comment: "But, do be informed that there are limitation such as history and certain type of fields cant be migrated, and attachment size is limited. 

I'll share a blog regarding this later on once my project is completed"

Would you have some update? I have been asked about migration from TFS to JIRA and would need to know how best to migrate attachments and history.

Thx!

0 votes
Thiago Zandona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2015

HI Sreeram,

Please check answers below for the same question. I personally haven't any experience with it:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/287434

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/113598

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer