What is the best textbook for Jira Administration?

I am looking for a good textbook that can help me gain more skills and also help me prep for the ACP 100 exam.  Ideally a book would also cover Scriptrunner, but so far I've only seen one book, Mastering Jira, and that didn't exactly have the best review.  Any ideas?

4 answers

2 votes
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Apr 26, 2017

Here are a couple of recent releases:

JIRA 7 Administration Cookbook, 2nd Edition

JIRA 7 Essentials, 4th Edition

For Atlassian certification, don't ignore the product documentation: JIRA Core documentation

JIRA Software documentation

JIRA Service Desk Documentation

Ann Worley Atlassian Team Apr 26, 2017

I am curious what other folks in the Community suggest.

Have you read either of them?  I'm just wondering which would be better.  The Atlassian documentation... I find it to be lacking.  Badly.

Atlassian's documentation is like a cookbook where they give you copious amounts of detail about specific ingredients and leave out the recipes, and the exam is all about the recipes.  (the exam is all about best practices and solving scenarios, none of which are covered by the official documentation as far as I can tell)  How to make a cake: get some flour and oh but what kind of flour? "There's wheat, but you might be gluten intolerant so theres all sorts of other flour like oat and rice and" - 50 pages later after exhaustively talking about the ingredients "Now that you've gathered all your ingredients you can make a cake.  Byeeeeeee!"

The Essentials book looks like a good resource for end users, but perhaps not as much for admins.  

Thank you for the links!

Oops, didn't mean to reply on a thread - see my "answer".

2 votes

Many new and experienced JIRA Administrators find the JIRA Admin Strategy Workbook to be quite helpful. It's written by Rachel Wright, a well-seasoned JIRA adminstrator (who is currenty touring the country speaking to user group meetings and conferences) for other JIRA adminstrators and is full of "from the trenches" information. I don't believe Rachel's book covers ScriptRunner.

I've personally read (cover-to-cover):

For me, I used the Cookbook more as a reference guide, almost like a 101 for admins, while the Workbook was definitely more practical, with battle tested examples of what to do in specific situations.

If you're looking for one book, I'd learn towards JIRA Strategy Admin Workbook

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

522 views 3 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you