What is the best (and cost free) way to learn JIRA administration?

Greetings users and administrators!

What is the best (and cost free) way to learn JIRA administration?

Michal

7 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Alex Christensen Community Champion Feb 12, 2015

These are the sources I used:

Hope these help!

I will try ,Unofficial JIRA administrator tutorial videos'. Thanks!

Not free, but I'd recommend Patrick Li's book & video:

Patrick has been writing books about administering JIRA since JIRA 4.

Hi @David Simpson • AppFusions • v3 looks good, and I think it is affordable for me. I will give it a try.

I can agree that Patrick Li's book is a very helpful resource on learning JIRA including "under the hood" adjustments.

I just wanted to point out that many answers here point to Atlassian University. Unfortunately Atlassian has recently removed all free training (or at least made it hard to find) from their University so that's not an option anymore.

Alex Christensen Community Champion Aug 03, 2016

Yeah, this answer has definitely changed in the past year and a half. I know that they "archived" their user training from Atlassian University in a YouTube playlist - here's the link for that.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaD4FvsFdarSWUyuv6cto4gunIvVzDTGD

As for the administrator training, I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Peter Bengov Community Champion Feb 10, 2015

I think that you should start with Atlassian University.

Moreover, I would follow the questions being raised here in Atlassian Answers (you can watch tags like jira-administration, for example). So each new question that has this tag will send you an email. You can of course go over older questions too. Most of the day-2-day questions were already asked in the past, so you should find what you are looking for.

And of course, Atlassian has a good knowledge base - look at the middle column titled Administer JIRA.

I'll add my own Practical JIRA Administration, the O'Reilly book with chickens on it. Low cost for what you get

Stephen Sifers Community Champion Feb 11, 2015

Check out some of the free webinars from Praecipio Consulting:

http://praecipio.com/pc/display/ae/Webinars

Thanks @Stephen Sifers Good source :)

Most of the information is easily available on the internet and on Atlassian official website but if you are looking for a single guide then books by experts can really be helpful and you would find everything in one place. It is difficult to find one book that suffice all your needs. The books referred above are by experts and I also recommend them.

I would like to mention that I wrote Mastering JIRA last year and it has information about customizing and administring JIRA.

https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-JIRA-Ravi-Sagar/dp/1784396516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466676379&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+JIRA

-Ravi

Hi,

Thanks for the buy. How did you find the book? Any suggestions?

-Ravi

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

223 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you