What is a project category

Kimi Nakashima October 11, 2019

So I'm a Jira newbie and creating my 1st project (we're using service desk cloud). When I took a look at my new project's details I noticed a field called "project category". I've searched the community and documentation, but I can't seem to find out exactly what the purpose of project category is. None of the other existing projects that I'm now in charge of use project category and I've confirmed that the previous project admins didn't use it because they didn't know what it was for. It doesn't seem like it's an integral part of Jira.

I guess I'm just curious why it exists and what it might be used for. Maybe it's something I'd find useful, but I really don't know?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2019

Hi @Kimi Nakashima

As a Jira administrator, you can create project categories so your team can view work across related projects in one place. Your team can use categories in advanced search, filters, reports, and more. Note that project categories cannot be used to create project hierarchies (such as parent projects)

Why are categories useful? JIRA can search for all the issues in a particular project category (e.g. category = "buildeng" in an advanced search), and can display projects sorted by the project category. A JIRA project can only belong to one category. Please note that a project category is not part of a project hierarchy. Also, JIRA does not support sub-projects or parent projects

Please refer below link for project category configuration. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-assigning-and-deleting-project-categories-844500732.html

Thanks, 

Avinash 

Kimi Nakashima October 12, 2019

I'm assuming project category is an internal thing only?

Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2019

Hi @Kimi Nakashima

Yes, it is kind of internal purpose only. For example, if you have ten projects relates one product line you can categories all these project with project category so that it will be useful for reporting.

Thanks,

Avinash

0 votes
Matthew Walker January 2, 2020

@Kimi Nakashima You can think of Project Categories as just another way to further define a Project. Since Labels can't be applied to a Project, and since Components are parts of a Project, a Category gives the admin a way to provide a way to define the Project at the Project level.  I think about Categories as a 1-1 (Project-Category) Label.

Simon Rigler February 14, 2020

Hopefully this is ok to jump on this conversation - I was surprised to see that Category is not even a field you can see under Field Configurations?

I ask because I'm talking with the vendor of Structure plug-in about why Category does not appear as an available column to add (because I want to group my Structure list by project category), and they've asked to look at the field settings in administration .... but it's not there... which does further suggest it's a 'special' field indeed.

Suggest an answer