What is a best tool in Jira for managing deadlines?

Pavel Kostetskiy November 26, 2022

How to get notified when some project's deadline fails because the deadline of another related project was changed?

11 answers

0 votes
Kateryna_v_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2023

Hi @Pavel Kostetskiy 
If you still need an answer to your question, could you please describe the problem in more detail? This change of what in another project violates yours, and how would you like to be notified?

Kateryna_v_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 9, 2023

In any case, if you don't mind using third-party add-ons, you can set up notifications for almost any change using the SLA Time and Report for Jira add-on.

To do this, create an SLA and set Limit exceeded action to send notifications to comments to the task or to SLACK. And if you have a SLA goal = 10 hours, set yourself, let's say, 8 hours – then there will be a notification warning about the deadline.

sla-time-and-report-add-on-for-jira-cloud.gif

Use the 30-day trial and try the add-on yourself.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

I don't think that this type of discussion is of interest to others and, certainly, it doesn't give interesting ideas to the community.

Yes, I agree. That's why prior of answering here in public, I send you a msg on our community slack. :/

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2022

I don't think I was offensive in my response and, if you were offended, I apologize for that. That was not the meaning of my comment.

I'm not a better leader than anyone else and that's not the point of my being here. Since the community is a place for sharing knowledge and a place to learn new things, I took the liberty of asking you how to manage that requirement in another way. I was hoping to receive some useful info that I could reuse in other future contexts.

I don't think that this type of discussion is of interest to others and, certainly, it doesn't give interesting ideas to the community.

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2022

Being sarcastic and offensive, as you are, is clearly the way not to be a leader. You can't expect people to reply in the same way you would (and of course you can't indicate/impose this to them.. not very leader-ish). I merely offer a solution to a problem, and yes perhaps, it wasn't the best tool. But given all input (not knowing about if the one who asked then question is indeed on a premium plan) I offer a viable solution.

Now, if my "No need to go for advanced roadmaps, or plugins" have offended you, I apologize. That wasn't my intention here.

Currently waiting to see if you, being a better leader than me and you clearly let rang in your last reply, will result in an apology from you for your latest offensive, towards me, comment.

Have a great weekend as well :)

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2022

Well @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , JIRA has the great ability to allow you to build your own solution through the use of builtin features. In more than 10 years of experience in the Atlassian ecosystem, for some customers, I have developed and customized solutions that could be reached with apps available on the marketplace  because of budget reasons or because specific requests by customers.

If, in general, I am asked what is the best practice to manage a particular situation, without having context and without knowing the budget, I answer according to what is the best practice and, in theory, the best way to reach the goal.

Planning management, in JIRA, managing deadlines, the interdependence between tasks and projects has answers with Advanced Roadmap. That then other solutions can be found, I agree with you.

Saying "No need to go for advanced roadmaps, or plugins." is technically and politically incorrect. You could write "Another possibile solution is to create your own solution and bla bla bla".

Well @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , being a leader means respecting the opinions of others and supporting the community according to one's own experiences. Being a leader is not a race to be better than others.

Have a great weekend ;)

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2022

Well Fabio that's your opinion for sure and it's respected. However we are not talking about a methodology or theory, for which you have to follow certain rules to be able to say "this is the right way". This is subjective to one person/team/company liking. Of course there could be more easy ways to catch deadlines with a single view, but you forget that the person who asks the question might not have the right budget to get Jira premium. If he/she can, then by all means use advanced roadmaps. If he/she can't, then  the solution I mention could work. Dependencies across projects, as you also state in your solution/answer, isn't only manageable from advanced roadmaps, but one could use the link issue functionality to do that. And IFF you set up a project properly (e.g. you have one epic for a project), then you could work with vanilla Jira.

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2022

in my opinion, it's not the right way

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2022

Jira Automation

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2022

how could you get notified about deadline failure due to change of plan of another related project in JIRA ?

0 votes
Syed Muhammad Umair Mansoor November 26, 2022

There are several ways to achieve this without tools/plugin:

1- Filter Subscription of the query displaying both primary and related projects with additional columns (due date) for manual analysis

2- Dashboard gadgets: two - two dimensional statistical gadget to show the planned vs actual date (could be custom fields) for both projects

3- Create a listener that listens to specific event ( deadline change) and based on that event it makes a job active or notification with the changed value + related link + new value (ScriptRunner will be required)

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2022

Hi @Pavel Kostetskiy ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

In my opinion the best way to manage dependencies cross project is to use Advanced Roadmap (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/schedule-issues-in-advanced-roadmaps-according-to-releases/). 

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Pavel Kostetskiy November 26, 2022

Hello @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ !

Thank you for reply!

Suggest an answer