What is a DNS? when it is necessary?

Sara Valoti May 27, 2024

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the elementary question: when should I check the DNS? Only when I specify the domain?
What if I don't specify the domain? is it mandatory or not? what advantages do I get in specifying it?

thank you very much in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

DNS is the acronym for "Domain name service".  It is a service that translates site names into their actual address.  For example, community.atlassian.com is not a site address, it is a name that has several real IP addresses behind it.  You use DNS to lookup a real address given a name.

You automatically "check the DNS" every time you specify a remote host name instead of an actual IP address  to connect to with a browser, a REST call, a remote shell (telnet or ssh for example), and anything else you might do over a network.  The whole point of using DNS is that you resolve a domain to the actual address it is present on.

So, I  am not sure what you mean by "when should I check the DNS".  What are you trying to do here?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events