It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What happens to the old JIRA link after you move an issue to another project?

Paul Stahlke Feb 26, 2012

Let's say I move an issue (OLD-10) and it beomes (NEW-20) in the new project. What happens to the OLD-10 link -- will it redirect? And if so, if I completely delete the OLD project, would a redirect still occur? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Feb 26, 2012

The move is simple - both ends of the link stay with it. Anything linked to OLD-10 will show NEW-20 on it as a link (it's not redirected though, the links are held as issue-id to issue-id so the view hasn't actually changed! Redirection only happens if someone goes to the old URL for OLD-10).

Deleting the OLD project will have no effect, you lose nothing.

Unless you create another new project called OLD, then when you hit OLD-10, your redirection will stop working. But your link between NEW-20 and other stuff will be fine.

Paul Stahlke Feb 26, 2012

Perfect, thank you!

Martin Cleaver Jul 24, 2014
Is that true programmatically as well? Say a script is writing time to OLD-10, will the worklogs actually end up on NEW-20?
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Jul 24, 2014

Mmm, it depends on your "programatically". Plugins will throw you an "unknown issue" in most cases. I'm not sure how REST handles, but I suspect it's the same - issue doesn't exist.

Martin Cleaver Jul 24, 2014

Thanks Nic, yes, I meant via REST.

So, is there a way (over REST) to find the new issueKey for an old issueKey such that if an "add work log" call fails the application can pursue what where the time should be filed?

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Jul 24, 2014

Well, you can read the history of an issue via /jira/rest/api/2/issue/ISSUE-123?expand=changelog

But I don't know how to get there given only the old key.

0 votes
sarang saini Apr 14, 2014

Hi Nic,

I need some help regarding this, As we move an issue from OLD to NEW and when we browse OLD it will redirect to NEW. I want to know from jira database schema point of view where this linking is stored. I go thru jira DB but unable to find where this redirect link is stored. please help.

Thanks

Brandon Selberg Jan 03, 2017

in JIRA 6.4.x and above it's on the [moved_issue_key] table. 

Ashutosh pandey Sep 19, 2017

Can you please tell us about where these moved issue id are stored for jira Version 5.2.8 ?

Ashutosh pandey Sep 19, 2017

Thanks , i got my answer data is saved in Changeitem table 

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Introducing subtasks for breaking down work in next-gen projects

Teams break work down in order to help simplify complex tasks. This is often done iteratively, with tasks being broken down into smaller tasks and so on until the work is accurately captured in well-...

12,422 views 61 59
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you