What happens to the old JIRA link after you move an issue to another project?

Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

Let's say I move an issue (OLD-10) and it beomes (NEW-20) in the new project. What happens to the OLD-10 link -- will it redirect? And if so, if I completely delete the OLD project, would a redirect still occur? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2012

The move is simple - both ends of the link stay with it. Anything linked to OLD-10 will show NEW-20 on it as a link (it's not redirected though, the links are held as issue-id to issue-id so the view hasn't actually changed! Redirection only happens if someone goes to the old URL for OLD-10).

Deleting the OLD project will have no effect, you lose nothing.

Unless you create another new project called OLD, then when you hit OLD-10, your redirection will stop working. But your link between NEW-20 and other stuff will be fine.

Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

Perfect, thank you!

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2014
Is that true programmatically as well? Say a script is writing time to OLD-10, will the worklogs actually end up on NEW-20?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2014

Mmm, it depends on your "programatically". Plugins will throw you an "unknown issue" in most cases. I'm not sure how REST handles, but I suspect it's the same - issue doesn't exist.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2014

Thanks Nic, yes, I meant via REST.

So, is there a way (over REST) to find the new issueKey for an old issueKey such that if an "add work log" call fails the application can pursue what where the time should be filed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2014

Well, you can read the history of an issue via /jira/rest/api/2/issue/ISSUE-123?expand=changelog

But I don't know how to get there given only the old key.

Like Chris Buzon likes this
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2014
Darryl Lee May 28, 2020

I have an add-on to this old answer - what if instead of creating a new project, OLD, you re-keyed NEW to OLD?

(Context: We have a project OLD created as a Business project, and they want to be converted to Software, which apparently requires a bulk move. Ideally they would be able to retain their OLD project key, but I think that this would break any old links, right?)

Thanks!

0 votes
sarang saini April 14, 2014

Hi Nic,

I need some help regarding this, As we move an issue from OLD to NEW and when we browse OLD it will redirect to NEW. I want to know from jira database schema point of view where this linking is stored. I go thru jira DB but unable to find where this redirect link is stored. please help.

Thanks

Brandon Selberg January 3, 2017

in JIRA 6.4.x and above it's on the [moved_issue_key] table. 

Ashutosh pandey September 19, 2017

Can you please tell us about where these moved issue id are stored for jira Version 5.2.8 ?

Ashutosh pandey September 19, 2017

Thanks , i got my answer data is saved in Changeitem table 

Suggest an answer