What happens if JIRA Server license expires?

Hendrik Martin May 15, 2017

Hy guys,

i`ve bought JIRA server one year ago. Now our license is expired and i cant create New Tickets. Does that mean i have to buy a new license every year?When i bought jira, i thought "support expires" means, that we dont have access to JIRA supportteam, New versions and so on. There was no hints, that our license is only valid for one year. 

Best regards,

Hendrik

5 answers

8 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2017

A sever licence is "perpetual" - your JIRA will continue to work as it did before it expired.

There are some minor differences:

• You can't raise support requests
  • You can't upgrade to any version released after the end of the licence
  • Your admins will see the odd reminder message that you're not supported

However, if you can't enter issues any more, that's not an expiring server licence.  That's caused by:

• Exceeding the count of users you have a licence for
  • Being on Cloud or Data Centre with an expired licence
  • Using a "create" method that is not part of the Core of JIRA, one coming from an add-on or application which needs to be renewed.  Plain "Create issue" from the menu at the top should still function
Bojana Vasic July 18, 2018

I would add one more point...

If you had an evaluation license that has expired you will get the following massage "One or more of your application licenses have expired. Users affected by this will not be able to log in. Please renew your licenses to reactivate your applications."

Good post!

Regards!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Deleted user September 3, 2020

Hi Team

After jira software license expires and the jira becomes a read only

Can we unarchive a archived project after the jira software license expires and

Can we archive a project after the jira software license expires?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2020

No.  Jira becomes read-only when your evaluation expires.  That includes archiving.

Like # people like this
0 votes
KRC July 10, 2019

Hi @AnnWorley 

Our Jira service desk Datacenter license expires soon, once expired will users be able to create requests using the portal? and can agents work on tickets? 

System prompt says "Your license will expire xx/xx/xxxx and JIRA Service Desk will become read-only" What does read only means? I believe request types can't be created in portal, Am I right?

Thanks

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2017

If you bought the download version JIRA should still work as usual after the first 12 months. What happens when the included maintenance ends?

"As all commercial and academic licenses are perpetual, you can use your software into perpetuity. This means, the server product will continue to operate in it's current state after the maintenance period expires."

Ayman Mohamed December 15, 2018

hi,

as our license is expiring in a couple of days, will we be able to upgrade our jira server instance to newer version released before the end of our license expiry date?

as indicated by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-?

we need to plan either we upgrade to latest version before or after license expiration.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 16, 2018

Yes, it's only versions released after the end of the licence that you can't use.

Like # people like this
Ayman Mohamed December 16, 2018

perfect. thank you

Vadim Ippolitov November 25, 2020

Unless Atlassian discontinues Server products entirely! So nothing is perpetual, sadly :(

Like Ayman Mohamed likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2020

No, I think you've misunderstood what the perpetual licence is.

If you have a server licence now, and it expires, your server continues to work, that's what the perpetual licence means.  You're unsupported after it expires and cannot upgrade to any version released after the end date, but you're still licenced to use it.

The death of server does not affect that, the licence is perpetual.  I've seen Jira systems that have been out of support for over a decade, but still working because they have a perpetual licence.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2017

Hi Hendrik,

do you have a self installed Jira or Jira Cloud? 

Jira Cloud is running as long as you are paying for, this is a subscription.

Self hosted Jira will not expire after one year (except Data Center Versions, do you have one of these?).

When the Jira license expired, you can't update your Jira system anymore, but you should be able to use it as before. 

Hey Thomas, thanks for your Answer. I have the self hosted 10 User Version. The exaclty Productname in my JIRA backend is "JIRA Software (Server): Evaluation". 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2017

Please make sure the license applied on the instance is the same one you bought - you can see your licenses at https://my.atlassian.com.

Oh, my bad. My license expired on 03 Mai 2017 .. But i paid on 04.07.2016 .. Thats not 12 month.

I think im using the wrong key, but i dont know on what email adress i bought jira. Ive tried all adresses ive got. Any chance that JIRA Support could help me? Or do i need a license with support access for that? :D 

Thx for your help. 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2017

Our customer advocates team can help look up your account. They use the same portal as JIRA support: https://getsupport.atlassian.com

Suggest an answer