What happened to the Keyboard shortcut - to Expand/Collapse All Swimlanes in Jira 7.8?

Gary Fitzgerald April 16, 2018

The keyboard shortcut -  to toggle Expand/Collapse All Swimlanes stopped working after the upgrade to Jira 7.8.0

5 answers

0 votes
Dan H January 26, 2021

Hello, so just like Tom commented above, I've also been able to recreate this issue 100% for myself with the following:

• First have Parallel Sprints enabled in Jira Settings
  • Then on a Project start multiple Sprints, so two or more are active

So now on the board view if you have All Sprints set in the drop-down, you can use the '-' shortcut key button to collapse all swimlanes (this always works) BUT the expand swimlanes function will not work at all, no matter how many times you keep pressing the '-' key.

Sprints.jpg

Note: If you instead select a single Sprint from the drop-down and then try this key shortcut, both the collapse and expand will work perfectly fine.

So yeah hopefully this helps in resolving this issue once and for all, as of course it's still present and really frustrating especially when we have so many Story swimlanes on our boards :(

Details:  Jira Cloud (latest), Microsoft Edge (88.0.705.50)

0 votes
Nicole Neunhoeffer November 11, 2020

Dear Atlassian team,

we are observing a similar behavior on JIRA V8.4.2 used with Chrome version 86.0.4240.75. While for some users, using the minus (-) shortcut to collapse and expand swimlanes in an active sprint is working well, we have at least one colleague who can only collapse swimlanes using the shortcut, but not expand.

Kindly let us know if the cause for the issue has been identified - thanks!

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hi Rik,

I have been trying to recreate this problem in a number of different Jira Server versions and different browser versions.  If I can recreate this, I'll certainly create a new bug ticket for this.   So far I have not been able to reproduce this problem.  I have tested this in previous versions as well before today, but today I tried both Jira 8.0.2 and 7.11.0, in my testing this appears to work correctly in the latest Chrome version 72.0.3626.121 and Firefox version v56.0.2.

However while I was testing this I did come across something that seemed interesting.  In my environment, when I set the swimlanes to be organized by Stories, I found that it would not collapse the view IF none of the issue on the board had subtasks.  Only if I had at least one issue with a subtask on the board, would the swimlanes even appear to begin with, but I think that part is by design.  If the issues on the boards all fit into a single swimlane, the other lanes are not rendered to begin with, hence there is nothing to expand or collapse here.

I can't say for sure that is what you are seeing here, but I'm interested to learn more about your environment to see if my hunch might also fit what you are seeing here.

Andy

Rik Janssen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 15, 2019

Thanks for the respons! 

I'm testing it again same browser, same jira instance and suddenly it works! :O 

Weird, but the outcome is good! :) thank you andrew for your response again and if I have trouble I will come back to this post. 

greetings Rik. 

Tom March 15, 2019

Unfortunately it is not fully fixed yet.

I find that as I'm navigating through multiple sprints, the feature works on the first screen, with a less likely chance to work after I change sprint on the scrum board, and a further less likely chance to work when i change sprints again.  Until it stops working (to open) altogether.

If there was recent work on it, great, but it's not fixed.

D. Zirnstein
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2019

Hi,

I've been coming across the behaviour described above in Jira 7.13.3. (using Firefox Quantum 60.6.3).

On a Kanban story board using epics as swimlanes the '-'-key toggles closing/opening the lanes correctly.

On a Kanban TASK board using stories as swimlanes the toggling works properly if the board contains only tasks that have a parent-child relation to a story.

If the board also shows tasks that have epics as a parent, hitting the '-'-key closes the lanes, but does NOT open them again (the parent-epic is displayed as a swimlane, even if it is not a story, which is fine imho). Once you remove these tasks from the board, the toggling (incl opening) works fine again. Using other criteria for swimlanes (eg. assignee) the toggling works correctly no matter what issuetype the parent is.

regards

Dirk

Like Angela Sadul likes this
0 votes
Rik Janssen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 11, 2019

I've got the same problem as Tom Hardy for a Jira server instance. However on one board in my jira environment the shortcut does not work and on another board it does.

For a board with the configuration on 'Base Swimlanes on stories', the shortcut appears not to work, but when I have a board based upon queries the shortcut does work. So there could be the cause of this issue. 

I hope someone could double check this and I hope someone at Atlassian could reproduce this and determine this is a bug. 

-- 
I did the test on Jira 7.11.2 . in Chrome version 72.0.3626.121 

0 votes
Tzu Hau Chai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2018

Just tested on 7.8, it still works. Can you confirm whether the shortcuts are enabled in your user profile?

Gary Fitzgerald April 18, 2018

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, keyboard shortcuts are enabled. For me, the "-" will collapse the Stories but not expand them i.e. the toggle function to expand is not working as in the past.

Please investigate further.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 23, 2018

Hi Gary,

I can't seem to replicate this either.  Could you tell us more about the browser you are using (firefox, chrome, IE, etc) and your operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc) ?

Also what version of Jira were you using before the upgrade?  

Gary Fitzgerald April 23, 2018

Hi Tzu and Andrew,

Today it's working perfectly. 

Not sure what happened but many thanks for efforts!

Stephan Wolbers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 26, 2018

Having the same issue today:

- Jira Service Desk Application 3.3.0-OD-1000.3963.0

- Chrome Version 67.0.3396.87 (Official build) (64-bits)

- Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803 - Build 17134.112

Santhosh Reddy Singireddy July 24, 2018

I'm also having issue on this. Interestingly it is working in JIRA 7.8 and not working in JIRA 7.10. 
Is there any workaround on this issue ?

Tom January 4, 2019

Still an issue in Jira Cloud.

Open New Browser (latest Chrome)
Navigate to a Scrum Board
Leave on "All Sprints"
Press "-" - Closes all lanes
Press "-" - Opens all lanes
Choose a sprint
Press "-" - No action
Change to "All Sprints"
Press "-" - Opens all lanes

Sarosa Rosasa1234 August 17, 2023

We are using edge and I pressed - or + in the board view but nothing happened. Please provide a solution as this is a killer as most boards are full. You should always keep this on your mind that the customers who are paying a lot of money for the tool, should be able to navigate their issues without much effort. That is the reason why the tool exists. To do this with little effort. 

Thanks!

Suggest an answer