What exactly is a "nested filter"?

Michael Gold November 29, 2022

I have Googled this question, but it doesn't really give me a well-defined answer. Could someone help me with this question and provide an example for me please. Thank you so much for your help and support. 

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hello @Michael Gold 

A nested filter example could be using one saved filter within another thus:

project = myProject and issue in (filter=12345)

"12345" is the numeric ID assigned to a particular saved filter. This example says to retrieve issues that are in project "myProject" and that also meet the criteria specified in the saved filter with ID 12345.

Do you have a particular filtering scenario you are trying to build?

No mam, I don't have a particular filtering scenario. I am currently learning and preparing for my ACP-120 exam. 

Okay, so the nested filter is (filter=12345)?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

yes, that's correct.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

Hi @Michael Gold , a nested filter is a reference to a saved filter within JQL.

An example:

Search the results of the filter "My Saved Filter" (which has an ID of 12000) for issues assigned to the user jsmith:
filter = "My Saved Filter" and assignee = jsmith
or
filter = 12000 and assignee = jsmith

0 votes

Okay, so "12000" is the nested filter that references "My Saved Filter"?

Suggest an answer