What exactly is a jira component

Trying to figure out the terms here and how they're used. Are the components just jira classes? Why are they called components and what's the difference between a component and osgi component?

2 answers

Hi John,

JIRA components are sub-sections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts.  I would take a look at Managing components and Defining a Component for more information.  The Stackoverflow post titled What is the difference between OSGi Components and Services provides this explanation in regards to OSGI Components:

A "component" tends to be an object whose lifecycle is managed, usually by a component framework such as Declarative Services (DS), Blueprint or iPOJO. See this page on the OSGi Community Wiki for a discussion of the different component frameworks available.

A component may have any of the following features, in combination or alone:

• A component may be started and stopped; this would be considered an "active" component, though that is also an informal term. A component that doesn't need to be started or stopped is called passive.
  • A component may publish itself as an OSGi service.
  • A component may bind to or consume OSGi services.

Hopefully that provides a bit more clarity.

Cheers,

Branden

So it has nothing to do with the PICO container. I saw another answer that said,
"Components" can refer either to Pico components or to OSGi services.

0 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jun 14, 2017

JIRA components as Branden said are simply a way to categorize work in a project. They can also have a different default assignee than the project lead. They have nothing to do with PICO or OSGi except you could use them to segregate work

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,305 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot