What does "issue linking" do?

Kian Pariwar January 19, 2017

Hi,

I currently have the case that an issue created in project A causes a follow up issue that needs to be resolved by project B.

In order to make the relationship transparent I was thinking about adding  a single line text field, so that the issue creators just type in the related issue ID.

However, I also became aware of the issue linking feature and the ability to add an issue link field into the issue type screen.

My question is however:

If I choose a value for "This issue" and select the affect issue ID, what happens? is it more of informative/ descriptive nature or does JIRA link issue technically, so that e.g. closing a linked issue will also close the other issue? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2017

Hi Kian Pariwar

A link is just a relationship between two issues and without adding functionality to JIRA that is all it is. But it is very useful for providing quick links between issues and navigating. Any action on either issue would be isolated to that issue.

Taking your example further I would suggest setting up a custom issue link type.

Name - Issue/Problem link
Outward link - Issue part of Problem
Inward link - Problem affects Issue

in this way you can have very clear descriptions of the relationship to help your users.

Kian Pariwar January 19, 2017

thanks for the clarification and the helpful suggestion.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2017

Thanks for accepting my answer. 

Suggest an answer