What are the real technical differences between JIRA software and JIRA servicemanagement?

jvandermolen January 6, 2022

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what the real technical differences are between JIRA software and JIRA servicemanagement.

Can certain things not be achieved with one or the other?

Ofcourse the difference is the pricing, and the templates..... 

Can somebody explain me this?

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Hi @jvandermolen , welcome to the community.

We will likely find a lot of posts out there that exist discussing this very topic so you might want to search for other input as well. With that said here is a couple of points:

• The biggest difference is that JSW Provides for agile software development tools. This includes scrum boards and associated reports that are useful for agile teams. 
  • JSW also provides a lot of tools that are more appropriate for software development, e.g release management, versioning, etc.
  • JSM is suited well for business processes. These are more often kanban like solutions.

If you could describe your use cases more completely I might be able to provide my opinion on which way to go. With that said I have almost always tended to move towards the JSW solution simply because it provides a great deal more capability and flexibility and it doesn’t put me into a corner down the road wishing I had started with JSW. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Oops. Misread the question…

indeed JSM is quite different…

• queues - used by agents to address customer issues
  • Customers - free ‘users’ with limited access to the application: email communication, portal access
  • SLAs - allow you to Track how the team is doing relative to defined SLA rules
  • Approval process built in

there are quite a few differences here for sure and which one to choose is more apparent once we understand your use case.

Thanks @Jack Brickey !

I want to collect feature requests or requests for change from out customers, and then after some review rounds, and added information hand the items to developers (as a sort of development task, including integration with Github). Do I need both JSW and JSM for that? Or just create 2 seperate JSW projects? Or maybe 1 project with some restrictions for the customer?

jvandermolen January 7, 2022

and maybe your opinion too @Vishwas ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

I would likely recommend both if you plan to also support those products for the developed customer post development which is usually the case. The idea here is JSM is the product used to interface with customers and JSW is used for development. Now if you won't support the customers then skip JSM and accept feature requests via other channels.

Like Vishwas likes this
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

Hey @jvandermolen 

Sure happy to provide inputs !!

From your use case looks like we may need 2 project. It's always best to use JSM when we customer facing technical support to capture their requests.

So One JSM Project which will collect the requests from customers from the portal and technical team can review and send the tickets which require development teams attention in another JSW Project. So this all can be achieved via creating a linked issues between JSM and JSW Project, send them to development team backlog.

And JSW project you can connect to GitHub too and track the development changes.

Check this out on how service projects and software teams work together https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/how-can-service-project-and-software-teams-work-together/

Regards,

Vishwas

@Vishwas and @Jack Brickey 

But than I have double costs? JSM and JSW?

Can't I just collect the feature requests simply in another JSW project, in a simple way? 

i.g. JSW Project named DEV, and a JSW Project named FTRQ? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Not double costs. With JSM you only pay for your Agent that support the customers.

yes you could simply use JSW. You could set up an email handler to receive feature requests from the customer. Of course these will be anonymous, I.e. the Reporter will not be the customer since that would eat up a license otherwise. You would have to figure out how to update the customer via automation email. Again,my ou need to figure out how you would find the customer's email, e.g. parsing the email body or similar.

@Jack Brickey But I need JSW too to manage the development work too, so that would be a JSW project and a JSM project. And I then I only pay for JSM?

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2022

@Jack Brickey 

JSW is mainly for development project only. As Jack suggested if you plan to use JSW only for 2 projects then you only pay for JSW.

If you need JSM Project also then you need to pay for JSM too. They are 2 applications and billed separately.

Regards,

Vishwas

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2022

Hey @jvandermolen 

@Jack Brickey  has explained JSW part. Let me brief about the Jira Service Management(JSM) side.

JSM is more of help desk application, provides IT Teams and Support Teams to provide seamless support to end users. JSM ships with ITSM Processes like Incident, Problem, Service Request, Change Management and configuration Management

JSM is built on the Jira platform, so you’ll see some terms and concepts that carry across all of Atlassian’s Jira products. It’s designed to bring IT, development, operations and business teams closer together with a variety of features like Customer Portal, Queues, SLA's(Service Level Agreement). We also have a Asset Management features in Premium Plan of Cloud JSM. And these things are all specific to JSM only.

Overall it's great tool with power packed features for ITSM processes.

Regards,

Vishwas

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2022

Ahhhh, I totally misread the question. I read as JWM not JSM. 😞

thanks for addressing this @Vishwas 

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2022

No Problem :) 

You are welcome @Jack Brickey 

Suggest an answer