I am a new JIRA administrator. I have one large program with multiple project streams. I was looking at creating each stream as a JIRA project. Are there any disadvantages to this? Will I still be able to roll up a consolidated risk and issues list?
- Having hundreds of issues is fine.
- You can retrieve the reporting data (open issues and status) by a filter.
- You can restrict usage by managing the permissions scheme (see permissions scheme documentation)
- Assigning issues to other projects is possible via Move Issue feature. Again, who can do it can be managed via permission scheme
Let me answer your first question -
Cons of having multiple projects - If you have very huge number of projects then
1. create Issue page is going to have a severe performance issues with large number of projects (to load all the projects + their issue types) (renjith, Jan 2013)
2. Permissions checks are very expensive, so my suspicion would be that permissions management would be your biggest overhead and computational expense from having multiple projects.(john Inder, jan 2013)
3. Managing hundreds of projects will require more jira admin time than managing tens of jira projects
4. If you ever have to migrate all your projects to another instance via project import, then that process will consume a hell lot of time as project import feature on jira imports one project at a time.
Can you clarify what you mean by roll up a consolidated risk and issues list?
It won't be a huge number of projects. For this program it will be probably 5-10 projects at most. However each are expected to have hundreds of issues, tasks, etc. I will need to be able to report an overall program level view of open issues for example and their status. Also, I'd expect all users to be able to view all projects, but only be able to edit issue within their project. However, it may be necessary to assign an issue to another project team. I would expect either the admin or project lead would have permissions to do that. Is that possible?
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG