What are differences between company managed and team managed project template.

Afahan Ishtiaq April 28, 2022

We are trying to find the default template for the organization.

2 answers

1 vote
Matt Budnyj April 28, 2022

Hi @Afahan Ishtiaq , there is a useful Atlassian article explaining the differences linked here

Essentially in a team-managed project, the team using that project can configure their own specific issue types, fields and workflows whereas a Company managed project configuration is determined by a jira administrator allowing projects to share configuration.

It's worth noting there are certain features in Jira that are currently only available for Company-Managed projects. 

For Jira Software, you can use templates (Scrum/Kanban) for both team-managed and company-managed. 

Thank you @Matt Budnyj for sharing the information, this is helpful.

I am doing some research on how to setup a default template to be used organization wide.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Afahan Ishtiaq welcome to the Atlassian community.

We would like to understand if you are looking for Jira software type to be used? OR specific template to be used for capturing an activity? OR getting started with Jira? OR trying to configure the board?

Adding to @Matt Budnyj response, here are some details that will assist you:

How to choose between a company-managed or team-managed project

The fundamental difference between the two project types is how they are administered, and whether that occurs at the team level or at a company/Jira admin level. Choose a team-managed project if:

• Your team wants easier project configuration to get started quickly.

• You want a self-contained space to manage your team’s work.

Choose a company-managed project if:

• You want to standardize configuration across multiple projects in your organization

• You require advanced features that aren’t available in team-managed projects.

Here's the link to the vast Jira templates per your requirement.

Thank you for the quick response, I have been using Jira for many years for my previous employers, and always had our tools team who would configure the default template. (I do not have the knowledge of which template to choose, how to setup customized fields and have them available for the newly created projects across the board) Now with the new organization we are starting brand new cloud based instance, we are trying to setup a default template for the company wide usage.

After some research I feel company managed would be a good choice for our setup as majority of users have no experience of Atlassian product.

Here are some of the queries that I have:

1. Do you think, :company managed template" is a good choice for the user background that I have shared
  2. how to setup customized fields and have them available for the newly created projects across the board) 
  3. We have a Jira cloud instance.
Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Afahan Ishtiaq thank you for reply and details.

For any organization, I would prefer "Company managed project type (CMP)" given it's robust feature support. So, you can by default choose this.

From your reply, I assume you might be also playing a "Jira admin" role?

I would request you to have a thorough discussion with your project sponsor/ management along with project teams in understanding the company hierarchy, requirements, number of teams that will use Jira software, roles and permissions to be assigned to the member of the team(s) etc. etc.

In short, please explore the Atlassian Jira admin concepts that comes handy.

Suggest an answer