What I need to do in atlassian when rename Active directory groups ?

ortadoguenerji July 19, 2015

Hi there,

I will rename Active directory user groups. Some of them are used in atlassian like JIRA and confluence sharing etc. What will be in Atlassian ? Does atlassian use SID or group names ? When I change name of groups, what i need to do in JIRA and confluence ?

4 answers

1 vote
Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2015

JIRA and Confluence doesn't support renaming groups.

[JRA-1391] Renaming groups after creation. - Atlassian JIRA

[CONF-13571] Rename Groups in User/Group Management ...

My recommendation first: Not sure if you are the AD guy, if not, backup your database to keep an overview where a group was used.

When a group is renamed, it is a new group for JIRA and Confluence and these are not assigned to any project or space.

I would say you create the new groups, assign your existing users to these groups and configure it to your project and spaces.

After that, remove these groups from AD.

Regards,
Tim 

0 votes
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2015

Here are some SQL queries to help you track down which JIRA Projects a group might be used in (Oracle syntax, you might need to tweak the quotes for use in MySQL/PostGRE) -

select pkey, roletypeparameter from projectroleactor
join project on projectroleactor.pid = project.id
where projectroleactor.ROLETYPEPARAMETER = 'AD_GROUP_NAME'

Hopefully, if you're using project roles well, that first query is the only one you'll need. However, we have some legacy projects on our JIRA instance where somebody added a group (instead of a Project Role) on the notification and permission schemes, which makes these queries really useful:

select notif_type, notif_parameter, name from notification
join notificationscheme on notification.scheme = notificationscheme.ID
where notif_parameter = 'AD_GROUP_NAME'
select perm_parameter, permission_key, name from schemepermissions
join permissionscheme on schemepermissions.scheme = permissionscheme.id
where perm_parameter = 'AD_GROUP_NAME'
0 votes
ortadoguenerji July 20, 2015

Ok, thanks for your collaboration.

0 votes
ortadoguenerji July 19, 2015

Thanks for your answer. I could not understand what you meaning "Not sure if you are the AD guy, if not, backup your database to keep an overview where a group was used."  " if you are AD guy ? "  

And how can we backup database ?

Best regards.

Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2015

I mean if you are also the active directory administrator then you know when groups are renamed and you can plan the change. That's what i mean.

Suggest an answer