Weight by Sub-items structure formula

Sal April 7, 2023

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation where we are using different issues with some same statuses in their workflows but their progress %age is different, so it's not possible to use Progress by Status as we can only put one percentage for a status.

So created a formula that will show the progress by status %age something like below:

If type = "epic":
If (Status = "To Do", 0,
Status = "In Progress", 50/100,
Status = "Closed", 100/100)/(sum{if type = "user story":
1+1
})
else if type = "user story":
If (Status = "To Do", 0,
Status = "Groomed", 20/100,
Status = "In progress", 40/100,
Status = "On Hold/Blocked", 80/100,
Status = "Done", 100/100)

In the above formula we have different progress %age for epic and User Story. I am using Sum over Sub-items, but the progress is going over 100% in some cases. To overcome that I have used division by total number of sub-items in Epic, which is only diving the Epic result and then summing over the sub-items, but it should sum over first and then divide by number of all sub-items.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2023

Hello @Sal ,

The sum over sub items options is just for adding up the values in the column.  It sounds like you are trying to calculate the progress of a "parent" issue based on the progress of its children. 

To accomplish this, it needs to be built into the formula. Something like:

SUM#children{progress} / SUM#children{1}

You may also want to consider using CASE() rather than the IF() conditional function.

I hope this helps.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer