Weblinks with spaces gets broken cant use html tags or square brackets[] to forcefully hyperlink it.

shirdesh kumar January 25, 2017

My company uses JIRA, and while inserting URLs in the text field the URL's are broken if they contain spaces in them.

I plan to use SharePoint URL's which have folder structure reference in them.

Is there a work around to hyper link it. see below the examples.

what it displays:

Draft :  https://companywebaddress/it/temporary folder/file name.pdf

But it should display

Draft : https://companywebaddress/it/temporary folder/file name.pdf

Thanks,
Shirdesh 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2017

Web links with (simple) spaces in them are not valid urls (Sharepoint is bad, it shouldn't allow them), and what you're seeing is the correct behaviour of a browser.

If you need spaces in urls, you must encode them with %20

Thanks for the reply.

i am hosting few files in share point which have reference to a folder structure which i need to maintain. unfortunately i have more than 2000 files with sub folder structure and this would be a difficult to copy every single URL, since i need to frequently update the file structure. And also I have a limitation of 256 characters for url in our internal system. so I cant use complete web links. Moreover maintaining the folder structure is much easier for me.

is there a way to achieve this. or do you have any suggestions.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2017

I can't think of a way to do this - JIRA and your browser are behaving correctly.  Your only option is to make Sharepoint behave correctly as well.

You might be able to use some form of url shortening function (like bit.ly), and I don't know if Sharepoint is capable of serving up shortened links itself, or providing a valid link in some other way.

Thanks for the suggestion. i will follow through and see if i can find a work around.

Appreciate your help.

shirdesh kumar January 26, 2017
Thanks for the response,

Is there a way to get the URL with another display text, like hyper linking a text.

e.g.
[Atlassian|http://atlassian.com]

I am not able to replicate the above scenario in a text box field.

I am in JIRA development module.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2017

I am not sure quite what you are asking in the last comment.  You can use the square-bracket notation to create a labelled link, which is a bit of text (with whatever characters you need in it) that, when clicked, invokes a standard url.

It's not going to fix your broken Sharepoint linking.  It requires valid urls for the target of the link, which means you still need to use encoded spaces in them.  It will just make the text the user sees nicer than a plain url.

shirdesh kumar January 27, 2017

I got the above to work. The way the JIRA was configured it did not allow the rich text formatting. Now I am able to do it.

Thanks very much.

Suggest an answer