• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

We couldn't create the subtask. Check your connection, then give it another try Edited

Hi, Everyone. 

I have a user who is receiving "We couldn't create the subtask. Check your connection, then give it another try", when attempting to add a subtask to a software project board. Any ideas on how to tackle this? User is able to traverse Jira in every other regard. 

Thank you!

Dan A. - VARIDESK

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

Hello everyone,

I ran into the same issue today and upon investigating further I realized the root cause is due to the new issue view. When you try to create a Sub-task against a jira issue with no existing linked issues and if your Sub-task create screen has mandatory customfields, then you will see the below error.

jira-subtask-create-error-newIssueView.JPG

Workaround:

1. Click on Actions from New Issue View.
  2. Select See the old view.
  3. Again click on Actions.
  4. Select Create a sub-task.
  5. The form pops up and users can successfully create Sub-tasks within the current issue.

This worked for me and I hope it does for you as well.

Worked like a charm. Thank you.

Where is the "New Issue View"?

Like Wasim Ghumro likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Dan.anas

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that a specific user is facing an error when trying to create a sub-task from a specific issue in a board. Is it correct?

Please, provide us the following information so we can better troubleshoot the problem:

- Are there any other users facing the same problem?

- Is the problem happening when the user tries to create the sub-task directly in the issue instead of using the board like in the screenshot below?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 19.44.20.png

- Is the problem happening only for a specific issue in the board or is it happening for any issue?

- Can you ask the user try to reproduce the problem in a different browser? Additionally, ask him to provide any errors returned in the Javascript console of the browser.

- Can you confirm if the sub-task issue has any required fields? The following bug causes an error if you try to create a sub-task with required field:

Cannot create subtasks if there is a required field on the new JIRA issue view.

Let me know if this information helps.

Tried in other browsers and different project boards  as well .. but no luck .. Out side the org network we could bale to create the subtask

Hello Rajesh,

Thank you for the information.

Since you are being able to avoid the issue outside your network, I recommend you to check with your infra team if the Cloud IP Addresses and Domains are properly whitelisted in your firewall and proxy:

Atlassian Cloud IP ranges and domains 

Once you whitelist it, please let us know if the problem keeps happening.

Hi,

I have the same problem. I cannot create subtask. Can you give me a solution?

Hello @Nguyen_Ngoc_Tu

Have you tried the options suggested above? Could you please share your results for each option you tried?

I am currently having the same issues after trying all suggested remedies above. 

Hello @Bryan Bellamy 

Investigating a little further, I found another possible reason for the error you are facing:

If a project has a default assignee but the default assignee does not have the assignable user permission, users will be prompted with the generic error you are seeing when creating a subtask through the new issue view:

Generic error message in the new view when creating a subtask

That being said, can you check if the default assignee under project settings > Details have the "assignable user permission"?

Well done! This absolutely fixed my problem. Thank you. :)

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this

I had the same issue and above solution worked well. Thank you 

I was running into this issue myself, and found the problem in my case was that someone had removed the Summary field from the Subtask issue type. Adding that back on allowed us to create subtasks from the new ticket view again.

I found this out when I tried the use old ticket view mentioned above. I was able to get the pop up window to come up and noticed there was no place for the summary and went from there.

Hope this helps someone else.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you