We couldn't create the subtask. Check your connection, then give it another try

Dan.anas August 1, 2019

Hi, Everyone. 

I have a user who is receiving "We couldn't create the subtask. Check your connection, then give it another try", when attempting to add a subtask to a software project board. Any ideas on how to tackle this? User is able to traverse Jira in every other regard. 

Thank you!

Dan A. - VARIDESK

7 answers

2 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
invinci January 16, 2020

Hello everyone,

I ran into the same issue today and upon investigating further I realized the root cause is due to the new issue view. When you try to create a Sub-task against a jira issue with no existing linked issues and if your Sub-task create screen has mandatory customfields, then you will see the below error.

jira-subtask-create-error-newIssueView.JPG

Workaround:

1. Click on Actions from New Issue View.
  2. Select See the old view.
  3. Again click on Actions.
  4. Select Create a sub-task.
  5. The form pops up and users can successfully create Sub-tasks within the current issue.

This worked for me and I hope it does for you as well.

Vito_Abeln January 22, 2020

Worked like a charm. Thank you.

Andy Matthews May 27, 2020

Where is the "New Issue View"?

Like # people like this
Prakhar Sharma April 7, 2021

Now the old view has been depreciated, how to do that ?

Like # people like this
jisun lee June 27, 2021

Thank you!!!! you are so smart!!!

Sarah Oros July 26, 2021

You may be able to add ?oldIssueView=true to the end of a issue URL if you cannot turn off the old issue view manually in settings. This solution worked for me.

Like # people like this
gowtham.kumar August 2, 2021

Hi any  one send screen shot  for me not working

gowtham.kumar August 2, 2021

HI i got same problem , Iam unable to create a sub-task, please provide solution and clear view and send me screen shot

Greg Williams November 15, 2021

Just wanted to thank @Sarah Oros for that "old issue view" trick, as it allowed me to go into the issue create screen and discover that the project's tickets were set to default to the Project Lead, and the Project Lead left the company and had their account disabled. Once I switched the default assignee to "Unknown" everything worked as expected.

Like # people like this
Ismail Sanni January 25, 2022

What I did was to clone an existing subtask I had... 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2019

Hello @Dan.anas

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that a specific user is facing an error when trying to create a sub-task from a specific issue in a board. Is it correct?

Please, provide us the following information so we can better troubleshoot the problem:

- Are there any other users facing the same problem?

- Is the problem happening when the user tries to create the sub-task directly in the issue instead of using the board like in the screenshot below?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 19.44.20.png

- Is the problem happening only for a specific issue in the board or is it happening for any issue?

- Can you ask the user try to reproduce the problem in a different browser? Additionally, ask him to provide any errors returned in the Javascript console of the browser.

- Can you confirm if the sub-task issue has any required fields? The following bug causes an error if you try to create a sub-task with required field:

Cannot create subtasks if there is a required field on the new JIRA issue view.

Let me know if this information helps.

Rajesh Babu Bodapati October 31, 2019

Tried in other browsers and different project boards  as well .. but no luck .. Out side the org network we could bale to create the subtask

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hello Rajesh,

Thank you for the information.

Since you are being able to avoid the issue outside your network, I recommend you to check with your infra team if the Cloud IP Addresses and Domains are properly whitelisted in your firewall and proxy:

Atlassian Cloud IP ranges and domains 

Once you whitelist it, please let us know if the problem keeps happening.

Nguyen_Ngoc_Tu January 8, 2020

Hi,

I have the same problem. I cannot create subtask. Can you give me a solution?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 13, 2020

Hello @Nguyen_Ngoc_Tu

Have you tried the options suggested above? Could you please share your results for each option you tried?

Bryan Bellamy January 16, 2020

I am currently having the same issues after trying all suggested remedies above. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2020

Hello @Bryan Bellamy 

Investigating a little further, I found another possible reason for the error you are facing:

If a project has a default assignee but the default assignee does not have the assignable user permission, users will be prompted with the generic error you are seeing when creating a subtask through the new issue view:

Generic error message in the new view when creating a subtask

That being said, can you check if the default assignee under project settings > Details have the "assignable user permission"?

Like # people like this
Jaime Bencia March 23, 2020

Well done! This absolutely fixed my problem. Thank you. :)

Like # people like this
Özer Uşak September 28, 2020

I had the same issue and above solution worked well. Thank you 

Bidul BabyDas January 27, 2021

It worked! Thank You.

Tim June 1, 2021

Thanks, faced the same issue. Changing the default assignee to "unassigned" did the trick. 

A simple but correct error message could have saved a lot of time instead of "check connections and give it another try". 

Like # people like this
Piotr CHMIELEWSKI August 25, 2021

Exactly. For me the error message should have been "impossible to create a sub-task because the default assignee is an INACTIVE USER" (or something like that). I simply changed the default assignee and now it works. 

Chris Weaver September 3, 2021

This worked for me. When creating a non-subtask type you actually get a helpful error that tells you the default assignee does not have assignable permissions. Would be handy if that same error was triggered for sub-tasks.

3 votes
sdove March 20, 2020

I was running into this issue myself, and found the problem in my case was that someone had removed the Summary field from the Subtask issue type. Adding that back on allowed us to create subtasks from the new ticket view again.

I found this out when I tried the use old ticket view mentioned above. I was able to get the pop up window to come up and noticed there was no place for the summary and went from there.

Hope this helps someone else.

Rik Ebbesen April 18, 2021

This does help and thanks for sharing.  This is exactly what was my issue. back in business!

Like yazminqc likes this
BeeFC May 17, 2021

The summary field was the cause indeed!

Like yazminqc likes this
Drew Henderson December 2, 2021

THANK YOU

yazminqc March 3, 2022

Thanks! That solved it @sdove !!!

Tereza Klobouckova March 17, 2022

Thank you!!! It solved my issue.

1 vote
Robson Nascimento February 10, 2021

Someone has to look at this, for Christ sake

0 votes
Drew Henderson November 23, 2021

@[deleted] please fix this? Absolutely atrocious error handling

0 votes
Alex Harrison June 4, 2021

I am having the same issue for adding any type of task to an Epic.

1. I have checked the Project Details for Automatic Assignment and this is Unassigned.
2. It is not related to "Summary" of subtask being removed - but not 100% sure how to check this.

This needs to be fixed in the new version as we cannot keep going back to the old version.

0 votes
Vimalraj Vemala June 3, 2021

I too faced the same issue, it is resolved now. Thank you all.
One of the custom fields I created was made "Required", I changed it back to "Optional". Iam able to create subtasks now.

Suggest an answer