Watchers - how to allow a user to only add themselves as a watcher

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

Currently we don't allow our client users to use the @mentions feature because it has meant they would be able to see the names and details of users from other clients.  However I understand this is now limited to the project for the comments and description fields which is where it is most useful.  I know our clients would love to have this feature enabled.  However the area of watchers is still a problem.  Currently they have manage watchers permission and could still see all users there, so I would like to be able to change the watcher permissions so that they would still be able to add themselves as a watcher but not add others.  I haven't found anything that suggests how to do this or if it is possible (although I'm sure I've added myself as a watcher on Atlassian's own tickets in the past and not been given the option of adding others.  Can this be done or do we have to choose between @mentions or watching?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2020

It seems that when you disable their manage watchers permission the user can still add/remove themselves as a watcher of the issue.  This just doesn't seem to be documented anywhere!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events