Watcher vs Participant

What is the difference between a participant and a watcher on a JIRA ticket?

1 answer

0 vote

A participant is someone who has contributed, or been named by an agent.

A watcher is someone tagged into an issue.  They don't have to have contributed, they can watch it themselves and anyone with "manage watchers" can add people.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the answer.  Can you help me fill in more details regarding the type of account each can/should have?

It seems to me that to be a Watcher, you must have Browse Projects permission.  However, to be a Request Participant, you don't need that permission, you just need to be in the Service Desk customer list.

Thus, it is possible to add a customer as a Request Participant to a Service Desk issue successfully, but that same customer could fail to be added as a Watcher.

Do I have that straight?  We've recently spawn more Service Desks and have run into this recently.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

1,011 views 3 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you