Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

WBS into Gantt excel to JIRA Kanban

Hi, all! I could say I am new to JIRA, so please excuse me if this doesn't make sense but..

I have a Work Breakdown Structure into Gantt Excel and I am trying to enter the project in JIRA Kanban board. The WBS has 3 levels: Level 1: 1,2,3...; Level 2: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3....; Level 3: 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3... pretty standard.

For me the most logical way would be to create in Kanban Level 1 as Components (Goals); Level 2 as Tasks (Deliverables) and Level 3 as Subtasks (Individual tasks).

But I was asked to create Level 3 as Components, which I guess would leave me with Level 1 as Tasks and Level 2 - Subtasks. The main reason - to use quick filters to distinguish the three different levels of tasks,

Now I am basically very confused - I did spend a lot of time reading about JIRA components, tasks, subtasks, etc, and I still can't stop wondering if 1) I misunderstood the entire Kanban system, or 2) Is this really the only way to clearly distinguish the different levels of the project?

I will appreciate your advice... Thanks a lot in advance!

1 answer

Hi @Desislava Drazhkova

Kanban boards aren't really used as a WBS. It's mostly used to take a high-level look at the work that needs to be done and where things are at.

If you're trying to emulate a WBS, I'd suggest reviewing issue types and using Epics, Stories, Tasks and Sub-tasks to break down work. Level 1 would be your epic, Level 2 would be stories/tasks and then level 3 would be your sub-tasks. 

There's a lot more when it comes to using Jira for project management so let me know if you have any questions as I do a lot of work in this space.

Jacob

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you