View but not execute workflow transition

Deligkaris Kosmas February 14, 2017

I have defined some custom conditions in my workflow, so that only users in a specific group can transition the issue to a specific status.

With this condition, users of other groups cannot even see the transition button on their screens. Is there a way to make the button appear, but not actually execute, in all users' screens?

For example, when a user not in the specified group presses the button it will pop-up an error message, or similar.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alina Fecheta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2017

Hello, you can use validators instead of conditions. The users will get an error message when they try to execute the transition.

Deligkaris Kosmas February 14, 2017

Thank you Alina,

I have tried using a validator, by selecting the 'Permission Validator'. However, the list of permissions that show up is the default list of JIRA (e.g. edit issues, view issues).

I cannot add a check of users being in specific groups in that list.

Alina Fecheta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2017

Do you have ScriptRunner? You can use a simple scripted validator for this. Select Script Validators -> Simple Scripted Validator and you'll also get examples in the "Add validator screen".

I'd give you an exact example but Atlassian Answers is very slow and the page is not loading. If you search for "jira validator user in group" you'll probably find it.

Deligkaris Kosmas February 15, 2017

Looks like it may be what I am looking for, thanks!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2017

No, there's no way to do that.  The button is hidden from the user because the next thing it does is start the transition and re-checks the user's conditions.  Even if you dug into the code and suppressed the hide, there's nothing to get the pop-up if they click it, the next action is an error screen telling them they've landed on a url they don't have rights to.

Suggest an answer