View JIRA Issue without License

Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Jun 27, 2013

Hi,

We are currently pulling issues out of our mailbox and auto-creating accounts for the sender of the mail so they can follow up as a watcher. However we would also like to be able to mail an issue to an existing user so they have an overview of what's being done, description, ...

But we don't want the user to use a JIRA License as it's only for viewing and the user base is quite large. Is this possible? And how to achieve this?

Currently a user without a License gets a login page when trying to open an issue.

Best,

Maarten

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Maarten,

You can make a project public to anonymous viewing, so people without a jira account can still view the different issue.

Just as the group Anyone to the permission Browse project in your permission scheme.

Best regards,

Peter

I'm afraid they will not agree to make our issue tracker public for viewing as it is an On Demand instance. I am able to login but as soon as I open any JIRA view I get this login window.

I guess you need an account with JIRA License to be able to view issues in JIRA?

Best,

Maarten

Maarten,

If the group anyone has Browse Project permission on you project you don't need a Jira user account to see the issues. (They won't be able to edit or comment on them)

If your company will not allow a public project for those issues you could create inactive users for the people you want to inform and add them to the watchers. You can then add the watchers in your notification scheme so they are getting informed of any important changes.

To bad you are using OnDemand otherwise you could use the Email this Issue plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.metainf.jira.plugin.emailissue)

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'd like to rephrase your last sentence: "To bad OnDemand doesn't support plugins from the Marketplace yet!" ;-)

Best,

Maarten

I can recommend the following plugin for Support: Issue Viewer
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.issueViewer

With this plugin, you can give each customer a view of a issue, but it only needs one support user.

Grant the (fake) group "anyone" permissions to "browse" the project and you'll find everyone can see the issues in that project, without having to log in.

The plugin did not work for me, the field with type "Issue Viewer URL field" was not populated

Best

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

578 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you