Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Versa Networks Director Webhook Configuration

Edited

Hi Community,

I'm wondering if there is anyone who has experience with creating a webhook on Versa Director to create tickets on Jira ITSM..

please see the attachment to view my configuration that did not work.

Many thanks in advance.

** Versa Director provides the essential management, monitoring and orchestration capabilities needed to deliver Versa’s Secure SD-WAN architecture network and security software services

Kamal

jira-webhook.png

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Jan 13, 2022

Hi Kamal,

While I have not used Versa, I think I see what might be causing a problem here.  Atlassian deprecated support for using a password when making REST API calls.  More details are over in Deprecation notice - Basic authentication with passwords and cookie-based authentication.  I can see that you are trying to use an API Token, but in applications like these that prompt you for a username and password directly like this, that API token is being used by Versa like it was a password.

This can cause our Cloud services to reject such requests.  At one time, we accepted the API token in the same manner as a password, but no longer.  There is a way around this though.  Instead of entering in your email and API token, you are going to need to follow the steps in Basic auth for REST APIs.  This explains that you need to first create a string of

email@domain.com:APItoken

and then base64 encode that string.  Once you have done that, you will need to craft an authorization header.  This will let your API call here be authorized when made. 

If you're still having difficulty getting this to work, try first to make the same REST API call from a utility like curl.  We have an example of what that call should look like in curl over in

curl -D- \ 
-X GET
\
-H
"Authorization: Basic ZnJlZDpmcmVk" \
-H
"Content-Type: application/json" \
"https://your-domain.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/QA-31"

I can see that this Versa app has a header for content-type already.  I would expect that you will need to create an Authorization header and enter an attribute of Authorization and value of

Basic {your encoded string}

without brackets.  Try that and let me know if you run into problems with this.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your response. forgot to mention that I'm able to post ticket form "Postman" tool to Jira ITSM and also via cURL from the Versa_Director-cli,

I have now met your instruction,

Added Header: Authorization: Basic user:apitoken-base64 

encoded-header.png

but tna. in the mean time I'm involved with Versa to check this issue, they are investigating now as it seams to be a bug to their new release, but waiting for confirmation.

I'll revert back to you as soon as I get a follow up from Versa.

Many thanks and regards,

Kamal

Andy Heinzer Atlassian Team Jan 18, 2022

Hi Kamal,

That header looks to be correct.  I am curious to learn what options exist though in the drop-down menu that shows a current value of "BasicAuth" in your screenshot.  Is there an option there for something like no authorization?  I think that might be necessary, while keeping that authorization header you have here, to make this call work.

Of course, I'd defer to Versa support on this matter, as I don't know how their product works, but I could see a scenario where having it set to use that type of authorization might still trying to send a blank username/password as a login here.

Hi Andy,

You are right there is a choice NoAuth and this is now been chosen.
Many thanks for Narrowing the issue to this level, really appreciated.
unlike the changes the webhook still not functioning, I'll update Versa with the alike and see what we come out with.

Kamal

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you