Velocity compare multiline string problem description-edit

Hi,

I'm having trouble in comparing multi-line string. The goal is to compare the description string in case of multiple project.

I have several projects like this:

- Project1

- Project2

I have edited the description-edit.vm file like this:

#set ( $description_project1="template 
project
1")
#set ( $description_project2="template project
2")

#if ($description == '' && $issue.project.key == 'Project1')
#set ($description = $description_project1)
#end

#if ($description == '' && $issue.project.key == 'Project2')
#set ($description = $description_project2)
#end

I have a multi-line description ($description_project1).

When I create an issue, there is no problem because the variable $description = ''

The problem is when i click on create an issue (by default on the project1 for exemple) then switch to the project2. The variable is not equal to '' but to the value of the template of the project 1.

So I tried to add the following code:

#if ( ($description == '' || $description_project2 == $description) &&  $issue.project.key == 'Project2')
#set ($description = $description_project1)
#end

But the code above doesn't work only if I have a multi line description (if I have one word for description it works).

I tried to format the variables $description et $description_project1 with the method collapseNewlines() with no success.

I tried also to compare string with StringUtils.equals but it doesn't work either.

Have anyone have an idea of a solution? A solution for me will be to be able to write the variable $description_project1 on one line but i didn't find how to add a return in the string.

Thnak you for your answers.

1 answer

1 accepted

Hi,

I have found a solution to avoid comparing thos string with the character return.

I added the line !$issue.getStatusObject() to compare id the issue have already have been created or not. If the status exists (open, etc...), I don't replace the description value by my template. If the status doesn't exist, I replace the text with the template.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,338 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot