Validator for specific issue type

Guus Creuwels June 1, 2016

As far as I can see a validator for a workflow transition always executes regardless of the issue type. Is it possible to execute a validation only for specific issue types?

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2016

If you associate different workflows with different issue types, then you can have different validators for them.

A validator always checks on a transition though, so if you want one workflow that behaves differently according to issue type, you'll need code, as you'll want to include "check issue type" as part of the validator.

Guus Creuwels June 2, 2016

Different workflows creates a lot of maintenance. We already have several projects based on SCRUM in which we try to keep the workflow as general as possible. 

If we "code" a custom validator, can we use that in the Cloud version? Do you have any references for a documentation on how to do this?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2016

Coding is heavily limited in Cloud - there's no add-ons that I know of that can do conditions coding really. 

0 votes
Inna Gordin February 18, 2021

Most recent answers can be found in this post: 

Solved: Workflow validator for specific issue type

0 votes
Teja June 1, 2016

Hi,

AFAIK, you need "Script Validator --> Simple Script Validator"

if(issue.issueType.name == 'Bug' || issue.issueType.name == 'Enhancement'){
(Your code)
}

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

From which add-on?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2016

I ask because there's several.  Also, ScriptRunner is not (yet) for Cloud, as tagged in the question.  Although I should have said that earlier.

Guus Creuwels June 1, 2016

We run JIRA in the cloud. ScriptRunner is not available. Any other add-ons which can do this in the cloud?

Teja June 1, 2016

Sorry guys, I am not aware of the JIRA cloud.

Tran Tuan Duong July 5, 2016

Not only Cloud, Script Runner has a potential risk about security. Admin guys can use this plugin to fake user, no log to trace back. That's why I have to uninstall it on my JIRA server.

Suggest an answer